Saveing scopas???

murph

Well its been years since I have tried treating any kind of sick fish but last week I was at the local ***** and the "fish expert" was in the process of removing the few remaining specimens from there marine holding tanks and stated that none were for sale and there would be none for sale for at least a month (gee I wonder what that means;) Amongst them was a poor little scopas tang (one of my favorites) in some obvious torture from parasite infestation.
To give the "fish expert" some credit it is obvious he knows what he is doing from speaking to him in the past but the powers that be would never let him do what was necessary to straighten out the mess. It appeared he had finally gotten through to them.
I have the ability to quickly set up a hospital tank so I offered him ten bucks as is, no questions asked, for the poor little scopas. I got the obligatory "I will have to ask the manager". After about ten minutes I was on my way home with a vary sick fish.
Considering the advanced stage of the infestation I decided on a in tank copper/formalin treatment. The tang has responded well regaining appetite on the third day of treatment and began acting like a tang should by about day five. Appetite than became ravenous with three feedings a day and a veggie clip almost not enough.
HT is a ten gallon with mature sponge filter from my DT sump, some PVC and a small power head to keep up the O2 levels. I change out thee gallons a day with copper/formalin dosed change water to keep med levels where the manufacture recommends and avoid any ammonia build up.
Now the problem/questions. This morning it was obvious the infestation was not over with some obvious spots on the fish and a lessening of appetite. This is day seven of treatment. The product I am treating with is a copper formalin combo called organicure but when I test copper levels of the water copper is nearly undetectable.
I am wondering if I should discontinue treatment with this product and go with a straight copper med that I can more reliably test for and keep in .20 range or considering the fish has regained strength at this point discontinue any meds and start with a hypo treatment. Any and all opinions are welcome. TIA
edit; Forgot to mention I have also dosed the tank with Aquel to head off any ammonia problems that might set in while I am not there to act. According to the amquel people this should not interfere with the meds I have chosen to treat the fish with but I am beginning to wonder.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Don't use that combination of drug treatment. Use hyposalinity which really is the best choice in most situations, and especially for tangs.
The procedure is outlined in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum. If you must use meds, then use Cupramine and maintain copper levels at .4ppt for 3 weeks, using Seachem copper test kits to ensure that .4ppt is maintained.

xdave

Aquel won't interfere with the meds effect, but does effect test results in various ways. BTW love Scopas too.

murph

Thanks for the replies guys.
I am off work today and have been able to monitor things pretty closely. Tang is back to having vary good appetite and I have been able to offer several small feedings today.
Although not evident a few hours later I am still pretty certain there was still some infestation as of this morning.
I removed a gallon of water from the HT today and have begun a PH adjusted RO/DI freshwater drip to begin lowering salinity. I am figuring -.002 every twenty-four hours until I reach a hypo-ed state.
I to was hesitant to dose a tang with copper but the infestation was at a point I felt I had no choice. Like I said; now that the fish appears to have regained some strength and appetite I will turn to hypo treatment.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
While it is good to make small incremental changes to the water to induce hyposalinity, you don't need to take it that slow. You should be able to achieve hypo within 48 hrs.
Take a look at the info on hyposalinity in the FAQ Thread. Are you using a refractometer?