Scarlet Cleaner Dead

anjiro

So, Last night I moved an emerald crab into my display, Never had one before, but I have plenty of algae for it to feast on. This morning when I turned on the light, I found my cleaner shrimp dead. It had molted and while fishing out the molt I found the shrimp without a head. I am wondering if there is any relation between this and the addition of the new crab.
I posted this in the invert section as well.

I would have to say someone killed your shrimp. I had a similar episode with a blue damsel of all things. I added two cleaner shrimp about three years ago. The very morning i noticed that they had molted they had become a tasty snack for my damsel. If they are found dead soon after a molt it is a safe bet that someone in your tank has a taste for shrimp.

fcatch76

same thing happened to me some months ago. The shrimp may have gotten too close to the emerald and thats where the massacre began. Sorry for your lose..

karavak

Both of my skunk cleaners have recently molted and were not bothered by my two emeralds. I'm not sure if that is proof of anything though.

anjiro

Well, I was just curious. As far as my stock goes, I have a false perc, 2 hermits, 2 turbos, 3 nerites, 6 Nassarius snails, and a few corals. I did have a hermit kill and eat a pygmy Angel once.... So I guess anything is possible.
Oh, and another question, are there any cheap shirimp I could throw in there for cleaning purposes, other than peppermints. The cheapest peps in my town are 25 bucks. I was wondering if you could acclimate freshwater ghost shrimp to salt or anything of that sort.

anjiro

Just as an update, I went to the lfs, and the guy who sold me the crab told me to bring him in and they would trade me a new skunk. They didnt have any skunks, so they gave me a Fireshrimp! I thought it was a pretty good deal. Oh and I want to restate the previous question. I want some small shrimp to put in a fuge, or that may survive hiding in the rock work, that the fish would like to eat, aka reproduce fast and give me something to ensure that I dont have any excess food building up. Thx