sea horse and pipefish

salty chee

You really, REALLY need to be expirienced before bying a seahores. Pipefish are not really that hard to keep. They need a medium sized tank cause they grow a bit big. I recommened you keep a pipefish before getting any type o seahorse.

snakeman50

what size tank would you recommend for a alligator pipefish.do they just eat brine shrimp or do they eat greens too.
thanks Logan

jobob

ive started a sea horse tank, i plan to keep sea horse and maybe a pipe fish? im not sure. i did get a sh from lfs i havent seen them in a long time! so i had to get him. the sh tank isnt ready(or maybe it is dont want ot chance it!) so i put him in my 55 gal reef hes been in there for about 3days with no problems. from the first day hes been eating brine shrimp. none of the fish are bother in him. but yea i agree u need expirienced, ive been doin sw reefs for about a year now and i wasnt sure if i could do it. so i read alot about them. i do have to watch him eat to make sure he is getting the food and the fish dont steal it. they are amazing creatures.:jumping:

salty chee

Originally posted by snakeman50
what size tank would you recommend for a alligator pipefish.do they just eat brine shrimp or do they eat greens too.
thanks Logan

For one pipefish and some other fish, a 50 gallon would be fine.

salty chee

Originally posted by jobob
expirienced in the saltwater hobby. not just finshed cycling ur fish tank!!!

Hey! Its true. You probably should be expirienced before getting a seahorse.

scubatiffy

Please make sure you do lots of research prior to getting a SH. They are close to if not an endangered species and should only be kept by those who know what they are doing. Pipe fish are in the same family and are somewhat difficult to care for. Most will eat brine, most capepods found in your tank. Check out seahorse.org for lots of detailed instructions on how to keep them.

konrade

Seahorses, certain kinds, really aren't as hard to care for as people make them out to be. My kuda was really hardy in fact. Brine isn't the best of foods for them, as it isn't very nutritious. The reef MIGHT be harmful to them because of the stinging capabilities of the corals and such, but mine was okay in a reef. They are lazy and won't try to get the food themselves, they want you to basically drop it onto their heads. Always watch it when they eat to make sure that they get enough. Try not to feed them too much though. You want a tall tank too. HTH

konrade

Seahorses, certain kinds, really aren't as hard to care for as people make them out to be. My kuda was really hardy in fact. Brine isn't the best of foods for them, as it isn't very nutritious. The reef MIGHT be harmful to them because of the stinging capabilities of the corals and such, but mine was okay in a reef. They are lazy and won't try to get the food themselves, they want you to basically drop it onto their heads. Always watch it when they eat to make sure that they get enough. Try not to feed them too much though. You want a tall tank too. Try to feed it mysis shrimp. HTH

poniegirl

What size tank, Snakeman? And what would the tankmates be?
(By the way, the mods have asked that we try to keep seahorse and related discussions in the Fish Discussion board)