Seahorse tank?

xabxam

I want to set up a seahorse tank.The tank would be a 37 gal.I have all of the needed equipment for filtration needs(filter,skimmer,lights,powerheads)that have all been used for reef tanks.What should I put in the tank besides the seahorse's,like rocks plants,and inverts?
To feed the sehorse's I was going to set up a live brine hatchery in a 10 or 20 gal tank gal tank.I was also going to buy live mysid shrimp and copepods,and put them in the seahorse tank so that they can get a snack at any taime.

xabxam

Could I put the seahorses in my 20 gal fuge that has live rock,macro algae,and a clener crew?Or would the seahorses be better off in the 37 gal?My tank has a watchman goby,a diamond goby,a clown goby,a six-line wrasse,2 perc. clownfish,pymy angel,coral beauty,a lawnmower blennie,2 firefish,and a blue hippo tang.The tank has a 40 gal sump/fuge( the fuge is what I might use for my seahorses),the sumphas a Kent nautalis skimmer with baffles and a filter pad in between the baffles.Would there be a bio overload if I put the seahorses in the sump of my 75 gal tank?

xabxam

I could also put the seahorses in a 20 gal tank that I have.Would that be better than the 37 gal?I read that seahorses do better in smaller tanks.Could I just put the Live brine shrimp hatchery directly on the seahorse tank? tank

lovethesea

they are just very very difficult....even for the experienced hobbiest. Do a search here for a user Sheree. She is the one who helped me most and I read almost everything she posted.
Also go to seahorse dot org. Excellent place for info. We toyed for a long time and really just decided it wasn't for us at the moment. Exptremely time consuming and just when you think things are gong OK, things change.
Also do a search here for Killafins .... he did a huge sticky I think on seahorses.
Read up on these users. Good luck. Post when you can. These are the coolest creatures and I would have loved to given it a shot.:yes:

xabxam

Ok,I'm not going to get any seahorses now.At first all I found was sites with info on how to care for seahorses(which was very important),they just didn't say things only people with first hand experience could tell you.thanks

J

jackie dh

I kept them years ago. They need calm very clean water. No tank mates unless they are equaly calm and slow moving, like a pipe fish. Most of them require live food. I did quite well feeding live ghost shrimp, live blood worms and baby minnows. I went out and caught my feeders, which could be a problem in the winter time in MO!
Mine did learn to eat the shrimp even if they were dead, if I held them right in front of them and made the move like they were still alive. I could catch large numbers of the shrimp and freeze them for future use and feed them that way.
I don't have the time or energy to keep them these days, too much work for me.

ams153

i wanted seahorses at first to and couldnt see why any one wouldnt i thought it was so cool that u could actually buy seahorses but then i read up on them and changed my mind i want a cool lookin tank and with seahorses u really cant do that so i changed my mind but some day i do plan on keeping seahorses just not yet
Andrew:happyfish