Seahorses ???? and LIghting

smalltimer

I have a 30 gallon seahorse tank now but want to keep some soft corals with them. I 2 96 watt, white and blue too much light for a seahorse ??? Also mine willl kill some brine ship, is there anything else I can give him to eat...
Thanks

musipilot

If you light up the tank that much, they won't be happy, they prefer shadows and dull lighting. If they have caves and dark areas in the tank you could be successfull with it, just don't subject them to the light all the time without shelter.
The best food for seahorses is mysis shrimp...much more nutritious then brine. What we do is soak frozen mysis shrimp in a shot glass with warm water and ZOE, and let that sit for an hour, then feed it to the seahorse. They love it, and its much better for them nutritionally.

dwarfs

what kind of seahorse do you have??? is it a wild caught or a tank raised? if it is wild caught it will take some time to train it to eat frozen mysis. don't give up though you can hatch babie brin shrimp to they like this or live brine, i know of someone who tried sliversides, some seahorse will eat this and some won't, i have a big black seahorse that would only eat live guppies so good luck with yours, if you have any questions go to the seahorse.org site and thier are many who will help you out with anything that might happen with your seahorse. one thing to look for if buying from a fish store is make sure they do not take the seahorse out of the water when you buy it keep it under the water they transfer it to your carry out bag. very important they do not get air in their snout if this happens they get air in their bellies and can't swim to the bottom of the tank it makes them float to the top.