seahorses?

our gang

I'm considering setting up a tank for seahorses. I currently have a 150 for my other fish but I would like to try seahorses.
Can anyone give me any advice on what size tank is required and any other information on what would be required?

nolatrav

yeah i think a seahorse tank would be nice too. my girlfriend would love for me to say ok to one, but unfortunatley i'm not willing to spend the money and time required to care for them. their very delicate and require prestine water conditions. can also be picky eaters from what i understand.
to answer your question, i dont think they require a big tank (20-30 gal) but obviously smaller tanks require more testing and maintenance.

rykna

I'm sorry, what I ment was how long have you had salt water tanks: months, years?......what kind of tanks have you kept?? FOWLR?Reef???

rykna

I have a 5 month old male Kuda seahorse. Valiant has my 90 gallon all to himself and his tank mate a fire goby- Flash
I have 25 years of exp with fish.....4 of that is salt water.
I have never had any fish as unique as seahorses.
I got Valiant 2 months ago....it has been quite the rollercoaster.
There are about 12 of us on swf forum that have horses.
What are your plans? :happyfish

our gang

I have about 2 years experience with saltwater. I had a 55 for about 14 months and got this 150 about a year ago. As far as tank size I have heard everything from a nano to 100. I'm just not too sure where to start for information on the horses. Not too sure if I can keep other fish with them and if I can, what kinds of fish.
Keeping the 150 up has not been very challenging since I set it up. It cycled in 10 days and everything has been (for lack of a better word) perfect ever since it cycled. So I'm ready to try something new. Any info on seahorses would be helpful.

rykna

Seahorses are such a new addition to the saltwater hobby, for most anyhow. They are delicate when it comes to water quality and stress, but when conditions are right they are amazing.
I am still trying out different things with my Kuda. Feeding for instance....like any fish..Valiant begs anytime you come close to the tank....and I tested his food intake one day. Feed him 5-8 mysis every half hour for a total of 21 feedings. He slurped up every mysis. When not begging he spends the majority of his time hunting pods. I did not know this until ponie girl told me, in the wild seahorses are predetor hunters. Which Became very obvious after watching Valiant for a few days. He slowly swims around(you can hear the "Jaws" theme song) when the prey is located he circles, positioning himself for the kill. Then...SLURP!!
So far the best tips I can give you is BE
prepared. Have horse meds on hand-after my 2 episodes of disease...I have a Med kit/box put together just for my horse.
Next lesson I learned is have a QT ready to go. I store my QT and horse meds together.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=259024
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=259321
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=269298
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=269831
The feeding needs of a seahorse, IMHO, is much easier then the needs of a reef tank. When my 90 was set up as a reef tank. I was feeding 5-7 different types of food each day. But I think the main difference is that the reef tank can go up to 4 days without food. A seahorse must be feed every day on a regular schedule to maintain proper health. Seahorses do not have a stomach. They have a very inefficent digestive track..so in one end and out the other..hence why the feed all the time.
I'd be happy to email you all sorts of websites that will help you be succesful with your horses.

rykna

Originally Posted by our gang
I have about 2 years experience with saltwater. I had a 55 for about 14 months and got this 150 about a year ago. As far as tank size I have heard everything from a nano to 100. I'm just not too sure where to start for information on the horses. Not too sure if I can keep other fish with them and if I can, what kinds of fish.
Keeping the 150 up has not been very challenging since I set it up. It cycled in 10 days and everything has been (for lack of a better word) perfect ever since it cycled. So I'm ready to try something new. Any info on seahorses would be helpful.
LOL
Same thing happened to me when I first started with salt.
IMHO the bigger the better....easier to maintain water quality.
As for tank mates..the list is slim.....the only fish I have succesfully kept with Valiant is my fire goby Flash.There are many lists of "compatible" seahorse tank mates....but each fish has it's own quirks.
Fire gobies are suppose to be very jumpy little fish...know "carpet surfers". Flash is just the opposite....he didn't even raise an eye when my 2 percs tried to bully him. He's been through 5 tank rearrangements and now the QT(all in the past 2 mths)...no worse for the ware.
Seahorses are amazing creatures....it's hard to remember that they are fish. I thought reef tanks were amazing!!! Then I got my first horse.
We are currently trying to get a Seahorse forum added so if you do decide to get horses, please add yourself to this thread

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=253621
:happyfish Rykna

our gang

I'm still in the "thinking about it" stage. It took me almost a year of research before I finally got my first saltwater tank. This will probably take a while too. I guess my best bet is to start with a big tank with seahorses too. Thanks for your input on them.

fulcrum

I recently "set up" a seahorse tank. I did as much research as possible and there will still some surprises. Here are my thoughts on some things I wish I knew in advance:
Keep the tank with a LARGE well established refugium. Feeding seahorses is a messy business, and if your tank cant handle the excess nutrients you are in for a nitrate and phosphate nightmare.
Buy a chiller. I dont care how cool your house is. Your horses will be MUCH happier and healthier in a cooler environment (74 max). This is not a suggestion.....this is a must.
Brace yourself for color changes you may not like. All my horses started off lemon yellow.....they are all grey, black, or splotchy-grey-and-black. They are still beautiful, but they blend with their surroundings, so it doesnt make for a very dynamic tank.
You cant skip a day feeding them (typically), and they are not as easy to feed as other fish. They really arent hard to take care of, but they do require a little more vigilence.
Buy your horses from one source. Dont mix species and try to get them within a pretty close time frame. Horses from different breeeders will carry different pathogens, which could cause BIG problems.
The more horses you can keep together, the happier and more active they will be. They enjoy saftey in numbers, and frankly are easier to feed in a big group. They also spend more time up and about, as opposed to just remaining hitched all day.
Brace yourself for EXTREMELY limited options for tankmates. I dont care how much you say you are going to have a species only tank, boredom (for lack of a better word) will kick in.
I have 9 horses (H. Erectus) in a 110 tall, with a 65gal sump and 120 lbs of live rock. They seem to be flourishing, even growing cirri (a sign of health and low stress). They live with a mandarin goby and a yellow clown goby, and soon a few reef chromis.
When I look at my other tank (I have two) I hate to admit it, but the tank with the tangs, clowns, flame angel and firefish is simply more colorful and more striking. The horses are fascinating but its like the differece between watching PBS and Fox.

our gang

Thanks for the info, I was thinking I may get bored with them with a species specific tank. The way I understand it they are the most challenging species to take care of, that is why I want to try them out. The only problem that I forsee is the fact that I MUST go out of town once or twice a month for one night. Would I be able to not feed them for a day and a half? If I can't then I may have to drop the idea.

rykna

Originally Posted by our gang
Thanks for the info, I was thinking I may get bored with them with a species specific tank. The way I understand it they are the most challenging species to take care of, that is why I want to try them out. The only problem that I forsee is the fact that I MUST go out of town once or twice a month for one night. Would I be able to not feed them for a day and a half? If I can't then I may have to drop the idea.
:happyfish You'd definately need to get a fish sitter. Horses need at least one meal a day, preferably at the same times. I feed my horse in the evening...that way if I do need a sitter it's easier for scheduling. :happyfish