Sebae Anemone Question

wildjosh

I got my first Anemone the other day, my LFS directed me to a Sebae Anemone telling me that they were one of the easier to take care of. When I got home I drip aclimated him and put him in on a spot that I thought he would like. He footed almost right away and was doing great, he was even eating. The funny thing was when the lights went out and my moon lights came on he started moving. I figured in the moring he would have found an area for himself that was better. Well in the morning he found a new spot but it was under a over hang in a hard to reach spot where he gets very little light. Will he be okay with the spot he picked? should I move him? also so far my clowns have wanted nothing to do with him. Does it usually take a while for them to bond?
Thank you :)

lexluethar

Do not move it. The anemone will move to a spot that is best suited for it. Realize this spot may not make sense to you or I, or it may be a very inconvenient location because we can't get to it, but it is the best spot (light, flow, cover) for the anemone.
Your anemone and clown may not host at all, or they may take right away. It is hit and miss. Just give if a few weeks to get acclimated before starting to worry about clowns hosting it. In fact your chance of success is probably a lot higher if the clowns DO NOT host the anemone right away. This way the anemone can get acclimated to the new environment w/o having any stress and can get footed w/o getting bumped around.

my sebae started out the same way...stayed where i put him then over a period of a week worked itself into the rockwork under a over hang.. very difficult to get to without breaking down rockwork ... hope fully one day it will come out and join my BTA for some sunshine

iamwjv

You will have better luck with clowns hosting to a seabae if they are sebae clowns. Not very many clowns like those anemones. A sebae actually stung two of my clown fish. They recovered but they never went near any anemone again. They are nice looking anemones but have low life expectancies. However, I only have T-5 lighting. I did have a rose bubble tip anemone go through alot of horrible occurrences in my tank and survive--I think this anemone survived because it had two cinnamon clowns hosting in it.

rod buehle

Originally Posted by iamwjv
http:///forum/post/2999089
You will have better luck with clowns hosting to a seabae if they are sebae clowns. Not very many clowns like those anemones. A sebae actually stung two of my clown fish. They recovered but they never went near any anemone again. They are nice looking anemones but have low life expectancies. However, I only have T-5 lighting. I did have a rose bubble tip anemone go through alot of horrible occurrences in my tank and survive--I think this anemone survived because it had two cinnamon clowns hosting in it.
Iam not trying to pick on anyone here,, but this post is way off.. First, true sebae clowns are rarely imported (youre probably thinking of clarkiis that are often mis-labled as sebae). Second, dispite the name of A.sebea, their only natural host is an S.hadoni. Sebae anemones (H.crispa) (I hate common names
) are natural host to many clowns including; A. akindynos, A. bicinctus, A. chrysopterus, A. clarkii, A. ephippium, A. latezonatus, A. leucokranos, A. melanopus, A. omanensis, A. percula, A. perideraion, A. polymnus, A. sandaracinos, A. tricinctus.. Oddly enough, not A.sebae.
I will agree that a RBTA is a better choice for most anemone keepers.
H.crispa will almost always position itself at the sand/rock interface. if your reef structure is more like a wall/cliff instead of a sloping reef, then the odds are that the sebae (H.crispa) will end up under an overhang.