Sebae Anemone

rolling_g

Can any one tell me if they have good luck with Sebae Anemone in there tank ? I have tried before to keep one in my 75 gal Reef tank for my Clowns but have not had them last more then 5 months . I know good water and light , but is there anything else ? temp feeding ?

teen

what kind of lighting do you have and where do you normally place the anemone?
they prefer the sand and need intense lighting. MH would be ideal.

R

rcreations

Mine moved around until it found a spot in the sand. Now it seems happy there or at least it's not moving anymore. We'll see how it does long term.

rolling_g

Originally Posted by teen
what kind of lighting do you have and where do you normally place the anemone?
they prefer the sand and need intense lighting. MH would be ideal.
I have MH 2 250 watt 12k bulbs and 260 watts of PC in a 75 gal tank . I would think I have more light then I need . The anemone is also in the corner of the tank in the sand .

I have one. The key to their survival in tanks is weekly feeding. I had two before this, but I only fed them once a month, and they both died.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by rolling_g
I have MH 2 250 watt 12k bulbs and 260 watts of PC in a 75 gal tank . I would think I have more light then I need . The anemone is also in the corner of the tank in the sand .
IMO Your fine as long as your water chemistry is in check. They prefer the sand and will find a safe spot where flow light and food is good for them.

rolling_g

Originally Posted by turtlegirl933
I have one. The key to their survival in tanks is weekly feeding. I had two before this, but I only fed them once a month, and they both died.
What did you do for feeding ? they told me to feed Krill

perfectdark

Originally Posted by turtlegirl933

IMO this is a false statement, anemones under the right conditions can be extremly healthy and grow with almost no supplemental feedings. Reality is, as much as we try to maintain near perfect levels its very hard to do 100% of the time and supplementing them with spot feedings helps keep their immune system up and them healthy, so they may better survive tank perameter swings. IMO.

perfectdark

What did you do for feeding ? they told me to feed Krill

Any raw seafood will do, stay away from oily fish, like Tuna, and salmon. But Silversides, clam, shrimp, mysis even pellet and flake they will eat. Portions should be no larger than the anemones mouth as it takes a lot of energy to ingest large portions.

rolling_g

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Any raw seafood will do, stay away from oily fish, like Tuna, and salmon. But Silversides, clam, shrimp, mysis even pellet and flake they will eat. Portions should be no larger than the anemones mouth as it takes a lot of energy to ingest large portions.
Sorry for the dum ? but do you just place the food by the mouth or try to get it in the mouth ?

perfectdark

Sorry for the dum ? but do you just place the food by the mouth or try to get it in the mouth ?

No dumb questions at all. The only stupid question is the one that wasnt asked.
You place the food in the center of the anem trying to get it to touch a tenticle. If hungry and healthy it should pull in all its tenticles and hold the food and move it towards its mouth. A healthy anem will always have sticky tenticles...FYI.