Securing eels in a reef tank?

cheyco

Hi. How can I secure eels in a reef tank ? The VHO's and Halide will hang in a canopy about a foot above the tank. The tank is cycling as of the moment so nothing has been set in stone. Any suggestions would be great.

scsinet

It depends on how big your eel is.
I'd use eggcrate, as you can cut it to shape with a wire cutter. If the eel is small enough to fit through the eggcrate, then I'd use fiberglass window screen and eggcrate together. I had this problem with eels repeatedly swimming down my plumbing and meeting their demise in my pump.. I had to use cage netting and window screen together.
You can cut your eggcrate to shape, then use window screen and nylon tie wraps to secure them together, or maybe hot melt glue.
This WILL cut down on your light output.
Another thing you can try is to put the eggcrate/screen/whatever across the back of your canopy so the tank is open up to the bulbs but the cover closes the opening in the rear of the canopy. That will keep your animals from escaping but will allow maximum light in your tank.

splatee

I use eggcrate on our eel tank and also 1/8 or 1/4 inch acyrlic cut out to cover areas on the eggcrate that the returns are to minimize on salt spray on the lights.