Setting up with canister

scopus tang

The egg crate itself will limit the movement of most of the Chaeto, you may still get little pieces that move through, but snails and hermits will often make quick work of that in your DT (Just be observant - you may have to remove bigger pieces that begin to grow in places they don't get to - like powerheads). Additioanally, you can place a sponge between the two large chambers - that complete eliminates any movement of Chaeto, but sitting the bottom of the sump like that it will have to be taken out and cleaned on a very regular basis. Otherwise it will collect debris and begin polluting your tank with nutrients. As far as the HOB, if you have the refugium/sump set-up, I personally would ditch it (but I also hate them, so its a personal thing), however keep in mind it does provide you with additional water volume and may provide a place for heaters and filters, so you will have to weigh the pros and cons.

damien2818

ok i was looking at my sump and i miss a big one the one chamber that i wanted to put the cheato in is not under water, the water only falls down to where the lr is.

PS I use a fluval 405 and a bio ball filter on my 75 gallon reef, (with live rock where bio balls are supposed to be) and a Rena 350 canister filter and a bio ball system on my 90 gal.

scopus tang

Try something. shut everything down and remove your bioballs - place in premixed saltwater solution. Fill sump and restart. I believe Chaeto must be submersed. Determine the level to which your sump fills with water in the bioball chamber - you should be safe to place Chaeto to that level. Additionally, and some others may have some suggestions here, you might remove the bottom diffuser panel and do combination LR and Chaeto in the bottom of the left chamber. The danger is the possibility of a large accumulation of debris in the bottom, preventing the sump from working properly - esp. if you place a sponge between the two chambers. Adding a piece of plexiglass siliconed in so the water must flow up and over to get into the second chamber may help with this, as well as raise the water level in the first chamber. Just some thoughts.

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2484484
Like I said, a cheap clip on light from home depot and a regular house light bulb will be fine.
do me a favor, though.
make sure there is a gfi where all of this is plugged in.
water + electricity =

ricky1066

Chaeto has to be submerged and have constant light
You guys hijacked my post thanks.
No big deal I have decided I am going tonight after work to get me some carbon bags and maybe one other thing to go in my canister to se ehow it wrks out tired of th sump already not working out for me?