share pics of damsels only

poniegirl

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
:hilarious rofl!, i highly doubt anybody's going to take time to post pics of these hated lil fish
guess again!

ccg24

I had this cichlid in my FWT and he was the only thing in it I wanted to put Discus' in it but couldn't till I got rid of him and I just couldn't get him man I hated him soo much he finally got to curious w/ the filter that I left the overflow boxes off of and he got trapped on the other side haha opps but it worked

bellanavis

I like damsels, I don't understand why people don't like them. I also think that the people who get them "just to cycle their tank", and then want to kill them are mean. When the addition is done,I plan on making the 40 gallon a damsel and clown tank, so anyone who does not want their damsels, send them to me.

poniegirl

I like my damsels, personally. Except the yellow one..she was such a YKW I took her to my LFS and asked him to find her a good home. A bit of chase now and then is okay, but she was a slammer. And she was not a small fish, either.

1journeyman

Damsels can be beautiful, although many tend to lose their sharp colors as they get bigger. And bigger they do get, often quickly.
Most species are not peaceful enough to be kept in a reef tank. That's where the anomosity comes from. People start their tanks using "chep" fish and then can't understand why they are such little monsters. It's not the damsel's fault, it's the aquarists.
I did some diving a couple of weeks ago and really watched the damsels. I think in the wild reef environment they play a vital role in protecting the corals from over predation by Parrots, Butterflies, etc. Time after time I watched small damsels chase away much larger coral eating fish. Unfortunately they bring that attitude with them into your aquarium.
Don't forget too that Clowns and Chromis are Damsels (as many of the pictures already have shown).

zman1

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
Zman thats gotta be some of the nicest coraline "ledge" I have seen in a long time.

thanks
Actually the meanest fish in the 75 (period) that runs rough-shot over the other three fish is the clown... I bought it an anemone about 5 years ago and it beat the hell out it. The 75 only has damsels, two yellow tail, yellow and the clown now. (the CBB and sailfin tang used to be in the tank) The clown and tang would rub each other when they first established their sleeping areas in the new LR, after that they didn't mess with each other as before....
120 only has three fish, CBB, sailfin tang, LMB. The sailfin gets a little aggressive at feeding, but the other two don't generally back down...

zman1

The LR I bought online and some from two LFS. The coralline algae was better on the online rock than the two LFS pieces. It was from the online retailer in CA (USA). It came in a Walt Smith wax box. That was back in 02. Not sure if this is the same that SWF sells. The other place didn't advertise it as Walt's, but that's Mr Fiji...

bellanavis

Wow, clowns being my absolute favorite fish, I never knew or heard of them being damsels. I guess no matter how long you have had saltwaterfish/tanks, you learn something every day.

murph

Damsels are beautiful, active, interesting and inexpensive fish.
IMO damsels should be the only fish kept by entry level hobbyist for at least the first six months to a year. Reasons being;
Cost! The high cost of setting up a tank is undoubtedly the single most prohibitive factor for the new aquarium keeper. Keeping these cost low by excluding expensive livestock that has far less chance of surviving the tanks maturing process is probably a good idea for the new hobbyist and the new tank. I have seen several new hobbyist become frustrated after losing expensive fish in the first six months to a year and give up well before they ever gave the tank a chance.
First year tank changes. Almost all new hobbyist will make changes to there tank as they gain knowledge and experience. Equipment changes and additions, sump and refugium additions, plumbing changes, live rock additions lighting additions, even substrate changes and possible tank moves. The last thing the new hobbyist needs is 500 dollars worth of live stock to stress out while all of this happens. There will also be above normal maintenance and disturbance to the tank as the new hobbyist battles with the various algae outbreaks common for the first year of a new tank.
IMO enjoy those damsels for a year or so. By then you and your tank will be ready for the addition of corals and other species. Who knows; by that time you may be quite attached to those "mean" fish and you will have that much more money for your coral garden.