sharks for future

sharkboy13

i am planning to keep and breed a marbled cat shark pair, when the babies come i wouldnt have the tank to keep them and the local pet store won't take them. if u want em lemme know.

my email address is biteoftheviper25@aim.com

moby

Quick facts on these sharks.Chiloscyllium plagiosumCommon Name Marble Cat Shark
Also known as Whitespotted Bamboo Shark
Fast Facts
As sharks go, this is among the most ideally suited to captivity. Most specimens are in the 7"-11" range and it grows to only 37.4" in the wild, making it one of the smallest sharks available. A bottom dwelling species, this shark can do well under the care of the experienced shark keeper. Like all sharks, they should be kept by experts only. They should never be exposed to copper and it requires outstanding water quality and proper tankmates.
While it's common for hobbyists to keep sharks with bold fishes such as triggers, puffers and large angels, this is a bad idea as these curious type fishes will usually pick on sharks. Feeds on bottom dwelling invertebrates. Like most sharks, it may fast for weeks before it begins feeding.
Sizes
Most specimens are around 7"-11"
Range in Nature
Indo-west-Pacific
Minimum Aquarium Size
Diet and Feeding
Offer meaty foods including pieces of fresh shrimp, scallop, mysis shrimp, or marine fish flesh. Like most sharks, it may fast for weeks before it begins feeding.
Reef Aquarium Compatibility
Requires a large open sandy bottom. Will eat ornamental crustaceans at it grows. Harmless to corals, but may topple them if not attached.
Moby

psusocr1

i think you should probably wait to see if you evan get them or if they breed for you , just because you will have two it doesnt mean they will mate. good luck on the project

sharkguy22

Just an opinion but you should get more than two becuase there is no pairs of sharks. Better chance of breeding. 1 male acouple females. goodluck

moby

Hey sharkguy22,
Honestly, no offense, but I don't think it is a wise idea encouraging sharkboy13 to get more than even one of these.
His tank is 180 gallons, this is the MINIMUM size for ONE specimen. Aside from the aquarium size, he will need some extremely good filtration due to the bioload of such a large fish (3 feet at adulthood). These guys are very messy eaters which again adds to the problem of filtration.
Keeping fish alive is very different from them being kept successfully
, especially successful enough to breed. One 3 foot long shark might live in a 180 gallon tank, but there is no way 2 or 3 adult sharks will survive very long in such enclosed space.
Moby

sharkboy13

psucor the sharks i have had are proven proven pairs and are getting along great......although i may consider getting another female..the lfs did say they had a marbled cat in a 75 gal..... :thinking:

sharkguy22

Coral cats attain sexual maturity at 22 inches and they probly are the least active sharks ive ever had.180 gallons is plenty as to what i think and scott w michael thinks a 110 should be fine.sharks arent that messy and dirty if you feed them right.

moby

LOL!
I feel like the guy standing on stage tapping the microphone asking "Is this thing on?"
I can assume from the lack of response to my last post this is an indication that you are not really looking for any sane advice?!?

15 years of SWF experience has taught me a lot of things. One is when someone wants something, regardless of how wrong it is, you can't always reason with them.

Well, good luck to you.
Moby

sharkboy13

sorry moby!!! i accept ur advice and appreciate it highly. you're a sight fir sore eyes when looking at forums.

p.s.:this is my 3rd shark tank and my first time breeding but from what i read its simpler than most salties (salties is my word for marine fish for those who havent met me)

moby

I completely understand.
I was bitten by the shark bug MANY years ago, just don't want to see you make some of the same mistakes I did and kill some really great animals.
I am VERY ashamed to say I didn't know enough back then to make good decisions and made a promise to myself I would try to save others the misery (mine and the fish).
I would really reconsider your options. I would hate it if you succeeded in only killing off some beautiful sharks.
Try one and when the time comes you can afford a larger set up, go for it!
I would be the first to purchase one of your tank raised marble cats!

Moby

sharkboy13

thanks bro. i think i might just get one and i had a crazy (yet extremely possible) idea of building a 3000 gal and getting 2 maybe (maybe is key word) three marbled cats and a black tip. now u most likely would know but could u possibly tell me if those two are compatible and what the dimensions would have to be for such a tank? :happyfish
:happyfish

moby

Sorry, I can't tell you much about the black tips.
The only real experience I have had with those is in the ocean while diving.
I know they are very unpredictable and can be very aggressive in the wild.
My advice, although there are others on the forum who might could give more info, is not to mix the marbles and the blacktip.
Marbles, cats eye and other "small" sharks are actually fairly timid, peaceful and not very active in the daytime. This is the reason they don't do well with triggers and other aggressive tankmates.
3000 gallons is more than enough to do several sharks. This would make a great breeder tank for those guys!
I never felt this way but a lot of people get bored with sharks after the initial excitement wears off. That is how I ended up with all mine over the years (except the first one I killed), from guys who just got bored with them. I still am facinated by them to this day.
I was in the planning stage for I thought a 280 but am now leaning towards a 500 gallon set up I found real cheap. If I get the bigger tank I have thought about getting a couple of the marbles. Still trying to decide on that or transport my 180 reef into it.
Can't decide.
Moby

sharkboy13

ok what could i keep a marble pair and maybe a banded bamboo or w/e theyre called responsibly (aka what size tank would i need to suffice those beautiful animals). :notsure:

moby

I really wouldn't go smaller that 360 gallons.
Remember the most important fact is the tanks dimensions should be wide. The distance from the face of the tank to the back is the most important. Then the length, and last the hieght.
Moby

sharkboy13

ya it has to be so so they can turn easily. but could i keep a orangeback basslet with them and so and would that boost the needed aquarium size? i thank you for continually responding to my stupid Q's.

moby

You need to talk to Requiem, he has a 2700 gallon aquarium he built with a blacktip.
Maroonytun is right, Requiem knows a lot more about the blacktips than I do.
And sharkboy, I don't mind answering any questions.
Orangeback basslets... hmm. Not sure, I would ask someone who knows more about those guys or do some research. If this fish doesn't get too big I think it might be okay, but I'm not too sure about their temperment.
Moby

moraymike

Originally Posted by moby
Hey sharkguy22,
Honestly, no offense, but I don't think it is a wise idea encouraging sharkboy13 to get more than even one of these.
His tank is 180 gallons, this is the MINIMUM size for ONE specimen. Aside from the aquarium size, he will need some extremely good filtration due to the bioload of such a large fish (3 feet at adulthood). These guys are very messy eaters which again adds to the problem of filtration.
Keeping fish alive is very different from them being kept successfully
, especially successful enough to breed. One 3 foot long shark might live in a 180 gallon tank, but there is no way 2 or 3 adult sharks will survive very long in such enclosed space.
Moby

i've got 3 coral cats (adults) in a 250. Had them for going on two years... doing great. Been keeping sharks for years. Don't disagree with either of these folks. 180 and inexperienced ... could be pushing it, maybe, maybe not.
Folks READ SCOTT MICHAEL'S BOOK... that's where the real information is. There aren't many real "shark keepers here." And most of the ones that are here don't have the time or the energy to say the same thing time after time after time.