sharks for future

ams153

honestly keeping three of these sharks in a 250 is wrong.. ive seen a 300 with one and to be honest they may not be very active but when they are they need space and not two other sharks running into them all the time, idk maybe im just being to conservative.. but they had the unlimited space in the ocean and a 250 severely limits there space.. one shark in a 180 id say is good.. and there's no guarantee that the sharks will breed anyways, and especially not unless they are under ideal conditions, just keep in mind that they arnt small fish and can't just be crammed into a tank as easily. Think about what your gonna do before you buy anything!

aw2eod

ams152...we're you just talking, a few days ago, about a 280 with a Port Jackson and Look Downs and Pilotfish?? I dont really think you can jump on MorayMike for his shark tank.
Originally Posted by MorayMike
Folks READ SCOTT MICHAEL'S BOOK... that's where the real information is. There aren't many real "shark keepers here." And most of the ones that are here don't have the time or the energy to say the same thing time after time after time.
The only problem I have with Scott Michael is that he grossly understates tank size, for each animal. Reading his book, there were times when I was asking myself..."Has this guy ever kept sharks?!?!"

S

shark bait

Originally Posted by MorayMike
i've got 3 coral cats (adults) in a 250. Had them for going on two years... doing great. Been keeping sharks for years. Don't disagree with either of these folks. 180 and inexperienced ... could be pushing it, maybe, maybe not.
Folks READ SCOTT MICHAEL'S BOOK... that's where the real information is. There aren't many real "shark keepers here." And most of the ones that are here don't have the time or the energy to say the same thing time after time after time.

I second that motion and he has a blog site where you can e-mail any questions and he will anwser them. AWSOME. changed my out look on sharks.

S

shark bait

Originally Posted by ams153
honestly keeping three of these sharks in a 250 is wrong.. ive seen a 300 with one and to be honest they may not be very active but when they are they need space and not two other sharks running into them all the time, idk maybe im just being to conservative.. but they had the unlimited space in the ocean and a 250 severely limits there space.. one shark in a 180 id say is good.. and there's no guarantee that the sharks will breed anyways, and especially not unless they are under ideal conditions, just keep in mind that they arnt small fish and can't just be crammed into a tank as easily. Think about what your gonna do before you buy anything!

it's is like puting fatbastard in a mini, he might fit but it would suck to have that car until he died.

moby

Well,
Let me first say, I do not consider myself a shark "expert". However after many years of practical "hands on" experience with the commonly kept species, I am confident I can give reasonable sound advice on their requirements in the aquarium.
I have read Mr. Michael's book many times. With all due respect to him as a writer it is not necessarily the best 35 dollars I have ever spent. I also write for a living, and seldom will writers bash each other in a public forum. So I will keep my critique private.
He is a knowledgable man with some good points, however I too agree with the statement made as to the doubts concerning his actual dealings with these animals in the home aquarium. Specifically the size requirements needed to successfully keep them.
I fall back to my original statement, " Keeping fish alive is very different from them being kept successfully."
In the end, it is the responsibility of the hobbiest to do the research utilizing all
available resources to check and recheck the facts and make an educated decision based on those facts and not the "I gotta have it" mindset.
Following this methodology of research ensures a higher probability of success for the animals and the hobby in general.
And as Forest Gump says,"Thats all I have to say about that."
Moby

moraymike

Originally Posted by moby
Well,
Let me first say, I do not consider myself a shark "expert". However after many years of practical "hands on" experience with the commonly kept species, I am confident I can give reasonable sound advice on their requirements in the aquarium.
I have read Mr. Michael's book many times. With all due respect to him as a writer it is not necessarily the best 35 dollars I have ever spent. I also write for a living, and seldom will writers bash each other in a public forum. So I will keep my critique private.
He is a knowledgable man with some good points, however I too agree with the statement made as to the doubts concerning his actual dealings with these animals in the home aquarium. Specifically the size requirements needed to successfully keep them.
I fall back to my original statement, " Keeping fish alive is very different from them being kept successfully."
In the end, it is the responsibility of the hobbiest to do the research utilizing all
available resources to check and recheck the facts and make an educated decision based on those facts and not the "I gotta have it" mindset.
Following this methodology of research ensures a higher probability of success for the animals and the hobby in general.
And as Forest Gump says,"Thats all I have to say about that."
Moby

Hey, Moby. I think you do make a few good points. The "I gotta have it mindset" is a sure way to get into trouble with this hobby. Also, the amount of information out there these days is incredible. Wish I had access to it when I was 1st starting with the hobby (sometime in the late 80's). Anyway, I've discussed the shark issue many times, as that's what I've been keeping all this time. Yes, there are limits to tank sizes, number of specimens, etc. However, I'm not big on discouraging folks either. IMO we often are too quick to say it can't be done or shouldn't be done. Of course, I understand why we do that. So many folks that are new to the hobby get the "I gotta have it mindset" with sharks. "Oh, I want to put a blacktip in my 75 gallon..." Right... Like you, I'm big on doing your homework and being responsible. IMO, there's no single recipe to success with sharks. However, Scott Michaels is a wonderful starting point (IMO). Sure, the min. tank sizes may be a bit liberal, but I think that a bunch of that depends on other variables. For example, how experienced the keeper is, filtration, etc. Anyway, I have (and always will) have a huge problem with posts that imply that the 180 gallon bamboo shark scenario is wrong, evil, cruel, etc. IMO, the same could be said for a yellow tang in a 75 gallon. When we starting moving away form productive and encouraging discourse, we just hurt the hobby... Just my opinion folks... never one to flame...

moby

Mike, let me first say it is refreshing to hear a well thought out and coherent retort.
You, myself and others with many years of shark keeping experience would probably not have too much trouble keeping one small shark in a 180 gallon aquarium.
But, there are a lot of less experienced folks out there who want to jump into shark keeping for the "cool factor". This is usually a recipe for disaster.
I never like to discourage folks from keeping the fish of their dreams (sharks or otherwise) all I want to do is make sure proper research is done and a thorough understanding is present before jumping into anything over their heads.
So, I guess we have agreed to agree on this matter! :happyfish
Moby

ams153

Originally Posted by AW2EOD
ams152...we're you just talking, a few days ago, about a 280 with a Port Jackson and Look Downs and Pilotfish?? I dont really think you can jump on MorayMike for his shark tank.
The only problem I have with Scott Michael is that he grossly understates tank size, for each animal. Reading his book, there were times when I was asking myself..."Has this guy ever kept sharks?!?!"

no.. that was not me i did however comment on that post saying it was not a good idea, but no i did not say i was going to do that... ive been keeping a shark for a year now and saltwater fish for around 5.. so im not totally stupid.. and ive been on these boards for a few years now searching them nightly before i go to bed... again id say i know at least that a shark like the port jackson needs quite a big tank... but no i have a bamboo who is in a 220 not great but i do hope to upgrade in a year or so.. so no i had to let you know that was not me..

ams153

and ya know i didnt mean to jump.. i just think its stupid to do that with them.. they obviously need much more space.. sry if i jumped

ophiura

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
i am planning to keep and breed a marbled cat shark pair, when the babies come i wouldnt have the tank to keep them and the local pet store won't take them. if u want em lemme know.

my email address is biteoftheviper25@aim.com

Can I just ask a question that struck me as odd? If you would not the room for the offspring, and the local store won't take them, then why try and breed them???? Something just seems strange there?
Not to be mean, it just doesn't seem quite right. :notsure:
Good luck getting rid of them (assuming they breed), IMO....at the aquarium I worked at we were up to our eyeballs in "baby' white spotted bamboo sharks and didn't have a good idea what to do with them either. They grow fast. :scared:

moraymike

Originally Posted by ophiura
Can I just ask a question that struck me as odd? If you would not the room for the offspring, and the local store won't take them, then why try and breed them???? Something just seems strange there?
Not to be mean, it just doesn't seem quite right. :notsure:
Good luck getting rid of them (assuming they breed), IMO....at the aquarium I worked at we were up to our eyeballs in "baby' white spotted bamboo sharks and didn't have a good idea what to do with them either. They grow fast. :scared:

Oh come on, Ophiura. You'll take a few dozen of them, right?

Moby:
It's all good...
Nice to have a constructive conversation...

ophiura

I do miss how they nibble on your fingers....and remove layers of skin...but I do have a soft spot. And I can cram a few in my 45

aw2eod

Originally Posted by ams153
no.. that was not me i did however comment on that post saying it was not a good idea, but no i did not say i was going to do that... ive been keeping a shark for a year now and saltwater fish for around 5.. so im not totally stupid.. and ive been on these boards for a few years now searching them nightly before i go to bed... again id say i know at least that a shark like the port jackson needs quite a big tank... but no i have a bamboo who is in a 220 not great but i do hope to upgrade in a year or so.. so no i had to let you know that was not me..

I'm sorry...I got you confused with shark bait...I apologize.