Short Tentacle Plate Question...

salty jeff

One of my leathers died ( I got him out just as he started to shed brown goo). After I placed my charcoal upgrade holder in my skimmer to help combat a bump. Everything looks great except my plate. Her mouth was open last night and I feed her some krill. She had some and then spit out the rest. She is a nice purple and turquoise color. Her short tentacles have been out but she is not as big as she usually is. Is their anything to look for or worry about????

jarvis

I wouldnt be concerned unless it starts to melt. They will expell food if they recive too much. Both of mine really dont take a liking to krill that much. I still feed it krill once in a while for a varied diet, but its primary diet is silversides.

nm reef

I've had a shrt tentacle plate for 18-20 months now and to tell the truth it goes through stages where it'll look like you've described yours for no apparent reason. then it'll be back to its normal self. Mine also never has liked krill much...prefers fresh shrimp or chunks of mysis....loves silversides!!!
I wouldn't worry much about it unless it continues to get worse.....

salty jeff

Thanks guys for your support & info. I picked it up and smelled it yesterday. (I know if it smells like sweet clean saltwater its still alive and if it stinks its dieing) It smelled like clean saltwater but did not change over the weekend. I'll let you know what happens.

salty jeff

Hey Jarvis,
are you from Kenosha? Small world I live in Houston now but I was born and raised in Wauwatosa Wisconsin. I really miss the excellent sausage and of course Summerfest! Thanks again for the info.