should power heads be weak when fish are resting?

celbrise

i am running a 900gph power head during the day and 700 gph during the night they are not hooked up to wave makers. i was planning to use my 700gph to mix my ro/di water but didn't want the fish to stress out at night when resting. i will eventually buy a wave maker and better power heads probably in the future but money is tight atm. i might be able to afford a used one with a wavemaker already that comes with it ( it only works with the power head it comes with i believe or it doesn't come with more then 1 port ).

jay0705

W different rock formations and such fish will get out of the current if they choose. My tangs love current but at night the move to the corner of the tank w my branch rock. There is flow but not heavy flow, such as other areas

celbrise

i was thinking of investing in a wave maker as currently it's just straight up power heads and cheap ones. one im going to end up removing in the end and use it to mix my ro/di water so im going to invest on one for sure probably next week when i get paid. i just worry as it's constant flow rather then random flows. plus my blue tang is getting all cut up not sure if it's because of the current or what. i know it's from the rocks though

lmforbis

Jebao makes a decent wave maker, . Variable flow and different patterns of slow to fast. Amazon sells them.
There are a lot of things on line that call themselves wave makers that are just power heads. Look up the JEABO RW series the RW4 would probably be a good size. Costs between 40-50$.

lmforbis

Yeah,I have 2 of their WP40 in my 125. They work great and are very quiet. I also bought their JBWave controller to sync them and have them work together or opposit each other.

pegasus

I like my RW-4's. I have a pair in my 3' 40B, and they move the water very well. I also have a pair of RW-8's in the tank, but they're a bit too strong for that size tank. I have to run them on the second lowest setting to keep water from sloshing out! One of the nice features of Jebao controllers is the light sensor. You can run the power heads on high settings during the day, and when the lights go out, the power heads slow down to the lower setting(s) of your choice. You simply mount the controllers where the light from the tank can hit the sensor, and it takes care of the rest.

lmforbis

Their controller is nice too. You use your phone or computer to set up the schedule. There are several patterns built in that aren't on the standard controller. Allows you to set the night mode by time rathe than th sensor.

Kristin1234

I like my RW-4's. I have a pair in my 3' 40B, and they move the water very well. I also have a pair of RW-8's in the tank, but they're a bit too strong for that size tank. I have to run them on the second lowest setting to keep water from sloshing out! One of the nice features of Jebao controllers is the light sensor. You can run the power heads on high settings during the day, and when the lights go out, the power heads slow down to the lower setting(s) of your choice. You simply mount the controllers where the light from the tank can hit the sensor, and it takes care of the rest.

Is it necesarry to have a different flow at night? Or to each their own? Pros and cons?

lmforbis

I don't think it is necessary. There is a belief that the current on the reef is stronger during the day because of the heat from the sun. I don't know if that is true.

celbrise

yea this guy was selling a jebao rw15 sadly i don't think i will purchase it because it's encrusted with dead coralline algae since he didn't keep it running and let it dry out and it looks really beat up on the propellars lots of algae or something built up inside. for that price i think i will buy a new one. looked great though seen some video on youtube with it way better then my powerhead