Shrimp shedding skin super fast.

royal gang

Mine shedded it skin 3 weeks ago, and today I found it again, and it's not dead because can see the real shrimp. I have 3 questions;
1) Is it normal for it to shed that quickly?
2) How can it shed if my calcium is only at 350?
3) Isn't it supposed to hide? Mine stays in the wide open.

dreamer44

Originally Posted by ROYAL GANG
Mine shedded it skin 3 weeks ago, and today I found it again, and it's not dead because can see the real shrimp. I have 3 questions;
1) Is it normal for it to shed that quickly?
2) How can it shed if my calcium is only at 350?
3) Isn't it supposed to hide? Mine stays in the wide open.
Ive had my cleaner shrimp for about a month, and he has shed twice already...
Lori

michaeltx

it can shed many times it means its growing really fast for some reason.
it really doesnt use as much calcium as you might think to grow a molt.
and if it doesnt feel threatened then it wont hide some do anyway but others dont for some reason
Mike

royal gang

Cool guys thanks, also... it was kind of weird, when it arrived in the bag there was also another molt I got a glimpse and I was like aww man it's dead, then when I got him out of the bag he was there and an extra skin... hmm... mysterious lol, why would he shed INSIDE the bag WHILE shipping?????????????

donald

molting has more to do with iodine than calcium. Shrimp need properlevels of iodine to molt properly. I would assume that your iodine levels are good. Did you do a large water change before the molt. My cbs likes to molt after large water changes. Don't be alarmed, It just means that your water perameters and feeding are to the shrimps liking. As far as hiding, he must feel safe.

yep had my cleaner for i think 5 months now and hes shed about 7 times. i thought i was doing something wrong. lol. mine doesnt hide either and would actually still swim to my hand when im putting food in the tank.

royal gang

Mine swims to the top backwards like... his head downwards and he grabs a piece of meat, goes onto a side of the pump and munches lol... is there anything wrong with him swimming upside down?

nope. nothing wrong with swimming upside down. mine does and it used to be creepy to me cuz it reminds me of a bug lol and for some odd reason i think i have a phobia to bugs. wierd 0.o? nope but nothing wrong with it swimming upside down mine does it

reefkprz

Originally Posted by donald
molting has more to do with iodine than calcium. Shrimp need properlevels of iodine to molt properly. I would assume that your iodine levels are good. Did you do a large water change before the molt. My cbs likes to molt after large water changes. Don't be alarmed, It just means that your water perameters and feeding are to the shrimps liking. As far as hiding, he must feel safe.
shrimp do not require Iodine at all, they deposit it in their exoskeletons as a means to get rid of it. its not usefull to them in anyway,
the rest of what you said I agree with.

donald

Keep me honest reefkprz
I learn more everyday, I love this hobby. You can learn as much or little as wanted but you will learn.

mine molted yesterday. lol again. i turned on my tank for a minute cuz theyve been off cause im trying to help an algae problem. and i see this huge antennas and i freak out but than i saw it was empty lol
and there was my shrimp swimming out in the open like always