Shrimp?

lionfish99

What is a good reef safe shrimp that will clean tank waits, as well as the tank it self. I currently have a LTA, a Hawaiian Feather Duster, and a couple of snails.
Any other inverts that are reef safe, and will clean the tank would be helpful. Please give me specific names not just "snails are good" that doesn't help. Scientific names are very helpful.
Or anything to reduce Nitrates. (to make my life easier)
Thanks

fishieness

i dont exactly see what you are asking for. all snails, all hermits, all shrimps (but the camel back is not reef-safe, careful, they look like a pepermint) will clean your tank.... They will all scavenge on the bottom for leftover food or fish poo. thus, cleaning your tank...
mexican turbo snails are great and fast cleaners.
to reduce nitrates, get some macroalgae such as cheato or calpurta.
and sorry to have the "snails are good" attitude, but they are. I dont know if i believe that some are significantly better than others.....
for cleaning your sand bed, a tonga snail, a sand sifting star, or a sea hair i hear are amazing@ ! The only problem with these is that they may eat benificial things in your sand bed. So dont go overboard even if your sand is currently realy dirty.
coral banded shrimps are VERY good scavengers. But they are also hunters. They will eat amphiopods and depending on the personality of the shrimp, other inverts or even weak fish!
sorry if that is not exactly what you are looking for. But any scavengers will do well :happy: :happy:

speg

I find peppermint shrimp to be the best for this. If you find wild peppermints used to cleaning fish then they'll possibly pick parasites off your fish.. but if you get a fat lazy one thats used to being fed fish food.. he may never clean fish.
They are excellent scavengers though, and I see them scavanging way more than my fire shrimp or my cleaner shrimp.

E

exile415

Originally Posted by Lionfish99
What is a good reef safe shrimp that will clean tank waits, as well as the tank it self. I currently have a LTA, a Hawaiian Feather Duster, and a couple of snails.
Any other inverts that are reef safe, and will clean the tank would be helpful. Please give me specific names not just "snails are good" that doesn't help. Scientific names are very helpful.
Or anything to reduce Nitrates. (to make my life easier)
Thanks
cleaner shrimp
peppermint shrimp
mexican turbos snails
astrias snails
calerpa rock (PLANT THAT REDUCES NITRATES)
if you have a fuge,stick it in there.