Sick Lionfish? Please Help!

lisann72

We have a volitan lionfish. It's about 3" long. We've had it for a few weeks and he was doing great. Over the last two or three days, he's become very lethargic and not interested in eating. His color seems darker & we can't tell if he's got spots on him or if the spots were there and they're showing up now because he's darke. We're pretty new to SW tanks and aren't sure what to do to save our friend. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

lisann72

On the top side of his fins he has a few white spots. They seem to be in a pattern, like they've always been there - not random like they would be ich. However, we're not that familiar with ich to know how exactly to tell. He's hiding in the rock most of the day. Before he would come out to eat as soon as we put his food in the tank. The last few days, we have had to "force" him to eat.

sepulatian

Welcome to the boards!! It is not uncommon for a new lion to decide not to eat after a few days. Can you please post your water readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph, SG, and temp? What were you feeding him? What tank mates does he have? Could you possibly post a picture of the spots? Are they faded areas? How big are they?

lisann72

We just tested the water today. pH is 8.3, salinity - 1.025, temp 80 degrees, nitrites - 0, nitrates - 10-15, ammonia - 0. We didn't test the phosphates today but they have been 0.
We were feeding him rosy reds, one a day, for about the first 6 days. After that, we fed him guppies, once per day. We thought maybe he was full, so we went with feeding him every other day for about 4 days and have now gone back to daily feeding, one per day.
He lives with a blue devil damsel, a yellowtail damsel, a black & white clown, a few snails & hermit crabs. We just added a bubble-tip anemone on Saturday.
As far as the spots go, they are on the "top side" of his fins. They look more like they are a pattern he's had rather than ich. I think we might be overanalyzing the spots since he's so lethargic. He's been hiding in the rock most of the day.
Not sure how to post pics...

sepulatian

First, stop feeding him FW feeders. They are alright once in awhile, in an emergency, but they are not alright all of the time. Feed him ghost shrimp, sometimes called glass shrimp. Ween him over to frozen silversides and krill.
To post a picture, shrink the image to 500X500 pixels. You can use whatever picture program that you have. It can be done in "paint' as well. Then click on "go advanced" in your response. Select browse then upload the picture.

lisann72

Thanks for the info about the feeders. We have tried to get ghost shrimp from our lfs but they never have them. We tried freeze-dried krill but he wouldn't go for those. Any ideas as to why would he be so lethargic & hide in the rock?
Do you think we should QT him? In copper?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by lisann72
http:///forum/post/2606877
Thanks for the info about the feeders. We have tried to get ghost shrimp from our lfs but they never have them. We tried freeze-dried krill but he wouldn't go for those. Any ideas as to why would he be so lethargic & hide in the rock?
Do you think we should QT him? In copper?
No, I don't think that he has any issues other than a gut load of live feeders. Have you seen him defecate yet? SW fish rarely accept freeze dried krill. Get some frozen krill. You will have to make it look alive. Use a feeding stick, or a wooden kabob skewer. Sometimes it helps to place the food in the flow of the power head. Keep an eye on those spots. Take a close look with a magnifying glass. If they are faded areas then it is just his stress. If they are smooth, round, and sticking out then let us know.

lisann72

Thanks for your help. I think the spots are faded. We haven't seen any sign that he's relieved himself lately but we'll be keeping a closer eye on him now. We will try the frozen krill but I would imagine we should wait another day to feed him again.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by lisann72
http:///forum/post/2606904
Thanks for your help. I think the spots are faded. We haven't seen any sign that he's relieved himself lately but we'll be keeping a closer eye on him now. We will try the frozen krill but I would imagine we should wait another day to feed him again.
Yes, it sounds like he will need a few days to pass the feeders. Try in a day or two. Once you get him onto frozen he will beg for it

guille

It takes me about 2-3 weeks to ween a Lion off of live to freeze dried or frozen, I let them go 2-3 days then try on the fourth day if they won't hit the krill then I do live. Some are more of a pain than others , but I won't sella Lion or a Puffer if they are not weened. I have a much harder time over all with puffers for some reason. Once they hit that first krill its easy street after that. I use a feeding stick or a very thin stainless steel wire to feed at first. Good luck

cindydeck

i also have a lionsfish who has a white thing on the tip of one of his fins. i just got him and noticed it last nite. it's small and white, almost looks like a little piece of food is stuck on there, but i know that's not what it is. i saw someone mention ich earlier, is that what it is? any help would be appreciated...