sick nepthea..anyone with ideas?

92protruck

I did a search and found Lemon Drop had the same problem last August but never got a response. My green nepthea has been closed for several days and has a black slime on it. I can blow it off with a turkey baster or suck it up as well. I can't tell if the black is the nepthea deteriorating or something foreign on it. What should I do? In case its related....I just lost an entire colony of blue ricordia (15-20) that just turned to goo and melted away and was situated 6 inches away. Bacterial infection?? Fungus??? Treatment options??? Water parameters ok and I do weekly 15% changes. Thanks to anyone that can help.

reefkprz

almost all. But I think there is one kicking around some where....
Can you post your exact water parameters what kind of lighing, and when you noticed it?
I'm gonna see if I can track anything down but any extra info you can throw my way may help.
I'm gonna be really honest and say straight out I have no clue, but I may be able to run down some info.

reefkprz

it sounds like BOC
Black Overgrowing Cyanophyta (BOC): occurs when a number of other cyanophytic species like Calothrix crustacea, C.scopulorum, Hormothamnium solutum, Langbia confervoides, L.semiplena, Phormidium spongeliae, and Spirulina subtilissima sometimes simply overgrow the coral, starving the polyps of oxygen, light, and food. But in other cases they actually actively penetrate and degrade the coral skeleton, leading to the eventual collapse of the corals calcerous structure.
I dont know the treatments yet, give me a few minutes.
If you had pictures I could come up with a better diagnosis.

reefkprz

I found some info saying an Idodine dip may help, that looks like the best I have come accross. sorry I couldnt track down more. good luck

92protruck

thanks for your help. sounds possible although this coral gets plenty of flow. I can't remove the coral without cutting it off the rock to which it is attached or I would dip it. It has been like this 2 or 3 days. I removed most all the black stuff from the coral but it has not opened. I will cut back on nutrients and do another water change.