Skimmer explanation

O

orwolf77

This is probably a stupid question, but could someone explain what exactly a skimmer does. Advantages, disadvantages, etc...
What benefits would it give me in a 30gal, lr, ls, FO tank? I have an emperor 280 filter in case that's of importance.
Thanks a bunch!

jester

I'll give it a shot.
A skimmer is used for removing nevitivly charged protiens that come from nitrates. By creating micro bubbles, which are charged positive, the negitive proties are attracted to the bubble. The bubbles rise into a collection cup and get tossed out. This helps maintain really good water quaility. You can go without, but your fish will be much happier with one. I just got one a few months ago after 5 years (on and off) and I am very surprised at the waste they take out.

salty guy

Don’t forget there are drawbacks to skimmers. 1) They remove elements from your water very fast. 2) Very noisy. 3) Just another thing to maintain.
I am not against skimmers as a mater a fact in your situation I would suggest one. With no corals, polyps, or other inverts that need the nutrients that skimmers remove it will do your water a lot of good.
For me, remember each person is different; I picture a reef with lots of filter feeders, and a very light bio load. I think that if you have a good clean up crew, light bio load and natural filter feeders, and do weekly water changes you can forgo skimmers, and the addition of elements. I have no science to back this up though.

reeferx

God, F.A.M.A. magazine should freakin' sponsor me, but anyway check out this months issue for a break down of skimmer basics. It is a rather large article.

predator

Jester hit the nail on the head. Protien build ups can cause all kinds of problems in tanks. Yes, some of the good can be taken out with the bad. But you can always add more good. With out a skimmer you can not always take out the bad.

O

orwolf77

Thanks for everyone's response. Looks like I'll be making a new purchase this weekend.