Skimmer Question

cglover226

i have a powerhead driven skimmer (with the air tube) the question is what is the correct way to run it.. with the air tube loosened so that it is flowing faster and making alot of airbubbles (kinda don't like the way that looks in the tank or with the air valve tight not letting any air bubbles through the tube or out? Thanks

veni vidi vici

Bubbles,bubbles,and more bubbles. A protien skimmer AKA foam fractionator works by producing tinny air bubbles that funk will stick to and remove it from your tank water via overflow cup.The air valve is to adjust the air so that you can skim wet or dry.You may have to tinker with the valve to get it tuned to your liking.

cglover226

so i want this thing as high as it can go pumping bubbles all over my tank and the cup filling up with bubbly suds?

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by cglover226
http:///forum/post/2853570
so i want this thing as high as it can go pumping bubbles all over my tank and the cup filling up with bubbly suds?
No you dont want the bubbles to reach the tank ,they should be contained in the skimmer.What skimmer do you have?

cglover226

its a sea clone? i believe with a mexi jet 1200 powerhead.. the only way i really get any type of bubles and foam in the cup is when i have the air tube opened all the way and the tank ends up getting filed with air bubbles

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by cglover226
http:///forum/post/2853682
its a sea clone? i believe with a mexi jet 1200 powerhead.. the only way i really get any type of bubles and foam in the cup is when i have the air tube opened all the way and the tank ends up getting filed with air bubbles
Unless your tank water is filthy,you shouldn't get a steady amount of foam constantly overflowing into cup.You should only get a little bit here and there.Try closing air valve half way and see if you get any foam into cup over a day or two.If not open valve up a tad and give it another day.Keep doing that until you are getting some skimmate and no bubbles in your tank. Just so you know Seaclone is on the bottom of the scale as far as efficient skimmers.

sagxman

Many will bash the SeaClone (it is no where near top of the line) but don't worry too much. They DO work and pretty well as far as I'm concerned, you just have to find the right setting and adjust quite often.
Keep in mind that it takes some "break in" time. If you've only had it a few days don't worry. Also, if your tank is fairly new there might not be much gunk for it to pull out.
Don't open the valve all the way. If you do, you will actually lose water flow into the skimmer. I open mine as far as I can so that I get max bubbles but there is no air trapped in the tube coming out of the tank.
You shouldn't have any or many bubbles coming into your tank. I have heard this can be a problem with SeaClones, however I have not had that problem. Again, just adjust the valve to where the issue stops.