Smoking Snails??

ktsdad

Last weekend I changed the filter media in my Nu-Clear filter. Within a few minutes of starting the pumps, I noticed the water was starting to get cloudy. After a few minutes I noticed that all my snail were on the move! Most racing up towards the top of the tank.
After 30 minutes, I decided something was wrong and did a 50 gallon water change. I always have 50 gallons of mature saltwater churning in the garage.
The next morning all was clear. All other tank mates (including shrimp, soft corals, fish, hermits and clams) all seemed to be fine.
I usually soak the filter media in 1 cup of bleach mixed with 4 gallons of water for few days. Then rinse well with the hose, then flush well with 5 gallons of clean water in a bucket. Then I place the media back into the 5 gallon bucket with more clean water and Amqel to nuetralize any clorine that may be left. I then leave it sit, open top, for another few days with more clean water.
The only thing I can imagine is that I didn't rinse the new filter media good enough and there was some clorine left in the filter that the snail didn't like.
Guess I need to find another way to clean Nu-Clear filter media.

jerth6932

Originally Posted by ktsdad
Last weekend I changed the filter media in my Nu-Clear filter. Within a few minutes of starting the pumps, I noticed the water was starting to get cloudy. After a few minutes I noticed that all my snail were on the move! Most racing up towards the top of the tank.
After 30 minutes, I decided something was wrong and did a 50 gallon water change. I always have 50 gallons of mature saltwater churning in the garage.
The next morning all was clear. All other tank mates (including shrimp, soft corals, fish, hermits and clams) all seemed to be fine.
I usually soak the filter media in 1 cup of bleach mixed with 4 gallons of water for few days. Then rinse well with the hose, then flush well with 5 gallons of clean water in a bucket. Then I place the media back into the 5 gallon bucket with more clean water and Amqel to nuetralize any clorine that may be left. I then leave it sit, open top, for another few days with more clean water.
The only thing I can imagine is that I didn't rinse the new filter media good enough and there was some clorine left in the filter that the snail didn't like.
Guess I need to find another way to clean Nu-Clear filter media.
I have a snail that does that too, does any one know any thing about that? Smoking snail huh???
My brother in law said that one of my fish were on fire!!! So hearing you put it that way makes me laugh!!! :hilarious
:hilarious

40 galons

when a snail smokes like that it usually means there is a female snail in the tank. that is actually
sperm comming out of that snail, and if you look hard and long enough you may see a female shooting eggs up into the water. i went from having 12 snails to having about 30 in a very short time. so just keep youre eyes out for baby snails in a few weeks/monthes

ktsdad

Originally Posted by 40 galons
when a snail smokes like that it usually means there is a female snail in the tank. that is actually
sperm comming out of that snail, and if you look hard and long enough you may see a female shooting eggs up into the water. i went from having 12 snails to having about 30 in a very short time. so just keep youre eyes out for baby snails in a few weeks/monthes
Well that make sense, I guess.
That day was a comedy of plumbing errors. Had a heck of a time plumbing in a new UV filter. Then when I changed the filter media the water turned cloudy. About 30 minutes into cloudy water is when we saw all the snails coming out of their hiding spots and heading for the top.
Maybe just coincidence, I hope anyway!
Thanks for the response!

sw65galma

and for future reference you should only clean the filter media with saltwater... esentailly you're killing tons and tons of benefecial bacteria which could cause a mini cycle.
Not to mention the risk of contaiminating your whole tank and killing everything...Just not worth the gains... IMO especially if you have a 250gal...
NEVER EVER use anything for any reason in your tank...and that to me is definaltey NOT Needed..
Just looking out for you!