Snails are all dying slowly.

jocean

So... About two months ago my long term turbo, astraels, margaritas, and even the conch all became unproductive and couldn't hold on to rocks. Only moved an inch or so before falling again and again until they finally die. Everything else is thriving.
-180 Gallon
- all parameters excellent
- good water quality
- no drastic changes.
- happens to new snails as well
The only thing that is remotely changed I added chemiclean a couple months ago. Have blown off rocks every two weeks and three 1/3 water changes since.
BTW - nasarius snails are not affected.
I'm baffled.

tonysi

What are your parameters exactly? What is the temperature you have your tank at, cause I believe that those snails depending on where they are sourced can be cooler water species and a warm tank would just decrease their lifespan.

jocean

Parameters are all 0 except nitrates at 10 or less. Calcium 400+ Temp is 78. Ph and kh in check. The snails originally lived more than a year and all started this at around the same time. New snails start after one day. So there's something def off somewhere. Is there a snail disease that only kills snails? Can't find info anywhere.

tonysi

Once the temp hovers around 80 and higher turbos and margaritas don't do good. Also you might have prymidal snails, I've heard that they pray on astrea snails. What is your salinity? Inverts like it on the higher side say 1.024 or so.

jay0705

I agree w the temp. My small tank is at 74 and the margarita snails thrive, my larger tank at 78. its hit or miss

silverado61

I agree with TonySi on the margaritas. My turbos however, did fine at 80. Even 82. How many snails do you try to keep?

Just guessing but maybe they're starving? Maybe your tank is TOO clean and there's nothing for them to eat? Or you try to keep too many and they're starving each other out?

On the new snails, How long do you acclimate them before putting them in the display? At first I tried an hour and, like yours, within a few hours they started acting the same as yours. I slowed it down to 2-1/2hrs and had 100% survive.

I'm just reaching way out there because I'm as confused as you as to why this is happening.

jocean

Hey Guys,

thanks for the replies. So here's a little more info. Depending on air temperature, the tank stays between 77 and 80. Unless something crazy happens like an insanely hot day, it normally will not jump higher.

Question - if the temp is lowered, will that affect the fish and corals? There are both LPS and SPS. Soft and hard corals.

As far as the cleanliness of the tank goes... The tank is not too clean because without any motivated snails, a slight layer of algae is growing on the rocks with plenty to go around. The snails are also not starving because right now only two survive so far. And the algae is not out of control at this point because the parameters are in check.

No changes have been made to how I keep the tank. The temp at an average of 78 and water parameters are good except for about 8 months ago where there was a Nitrate spike which took a few weeks to get under control. The snail issue did not happen until months later so that was not the issue.

I also had success with about 12 - 14 snails of mixed species for a long time. Margarita, Astrea, One turbo, conch, and some Nasarius. It's a big tank so there was plenty of food. They were all strong until one day they all became inactive and started dying off all of a sudden.

I've ruled out all of the obvious. Chems, temp, parameters, etc... Just looking for some insight into something odd or uncommon that I may not know of.

Is there a such thing as a disease or virus that affects only snails or Mollusks?

The LFS suggested it may be the chemiclean I used to head some Red Slime off before it got out of control. How long does it take to cycle this stuff out? I've done some big water changes since then thinking it may be it, but no luck so far. Also blow the rocks off every couple weeks and usually the day before a water change.

Hmmmm! baffled.

jocean

Oh... Also, the last turbo introduced to the tank was acclimated for three hours using the drip method and floated in the sump to keep temp regulated during acclimation.

silverado61

Your parameters are in check because the algae is feeding off it. Decrease your lighting schedule and put an algae scrubber in the sump. This will help keep the algae out of your display and benefit your corals.

jocean

Thanks silverado. The parameters were all in check when there was no algae when the snails started dying. I'm looking for the cause of the snail issue.

jocean

thanks for all the comments everyone. I think the problem ended up being a faulty RO system. I was making water out of well water since that is all that is available in my area. The straight up RO system wasn't cleaning 100%. I added a DI system to it and now my TDS are at 0-3. They were 30 - 50. For months after setting up, everying was good. Maybe the DS just built up to an unacceptable level over time.

I'm going to do a 5 gal water change daily for a couple weeks to run the old water out and then attempt to introduce snails again.