snails losing their grip

stupid_naso

Here's what has been happening to my snails. I first bought three, and bought another two, big ones, not long after that. Couple of weeks later, two of the first ones seem to lose their grip. Fall down a lot and cannot seem to hold on. I bought another five astrea snails about two weeks later. They are doing fine until one day I found that the two of my first ones that lost their grip, died. I thought, oh well. Now one of the big ones shows the same sign, losing its grip. What happened? What causes this?
I've been adding Kent Liquid Calcium in order to give calcium supplements for my snails and also for coraline algae. My salinity is 1.023. Last time I check Ph 8.2, Ammo and Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, temp 78-80.
What can I do to help this snail. I don't want to keep buying new snails every month.
sebae_the_clown

broomer5

Only thing that comes to mind would be changes in salinity. Snails are very affected by these changes.
In a 10 gallon tank - your evaporation can cause the S.G. to rise very quickly.
How often are you doing fresh water top offs ?

fshhub

don't know how true it is, but i recently read that sg of 1.026 ro 5 is best for snails, i cna tell you that we have lost less(i think maybe one or none) since we upped ours from 1.021(for other reasons, we read this later, months later), supposedly they can hold on better in the higher salinity,, and as for only affecting certain ones, we only ever really lost one at a time, like that anyhow(maybe 2)
HTH

stupid_naso

That's interesting. I guess I'll get my salinity up SLOWLY. One thing funny though, they seem to lose their grip only on glass, not on lr. Oh well, I'll try. Thanks for the response all.
sebae_the_clown

fshhub

like i said, i only read it, and it seems to me that may be the case, but i cannot swear that i havee lost non,e since i was not testing that theory, but raising it for another reason, but looking back, i am sure that we have lost fewer if any(definitely at least fewer)

wolffam

I was having this same type of problemin my 55 gal, but not my 135 gal. Only difference between the two at the time was that my phosphates were higher in the 55 gal tank. I have since lowered the level and haven't had the problem since. I lost three snails before the level was lowered enough. HTH