Snowflake Eel in 55g

zeke92

A few questions about eels...
1. Will it eat a toby puffer?
2. Will it eat a watchmen goby?
3. Will it eat a coral banded shrimp?
Any special requirements besides a big tank and somewhere to hide? I plan on putting PVC pipe in the rock if we get one.

prime311

It probly won't eat fish, but they'll go after anything at least once since they're basically blind. The shrimp may or may not be safe.

darren0311

Yes, Yes and Yes, I have snowfake eels in our store and when they get a little older they will eat anything that can go in there mouths, Plus they are tremendous escape artist! so watch out for them, If you are looking for a good EEL, A Zebra EEL is a nice EEL to have, I have one and I hand feed it and pet it also, Never had any issues with one! 55 should be ok for it Dep. on Filtration and if you are adding anymore livestock besides what you had metioned

zeke92

Well i don't want to make a big risk with any of my fish. I'm trying to find something interesting for my 55g. Any suggestions on something that will definatly not eat my fish?

darren0311

in the EEL Family, Your really taking the chance with any thing you put in there! I just had succss with the Zebra eels b4 , but you are really taking the chance with anything you put in there

darren0311

well, It is almost endless, Clowns, tangs, some wrasses (yellow or red tailed are nice) anthias, bluejaw triggers are nice (reef safe), Engineering Gobies, Gobies. hope that helps a little, If you want any info on anymore fish, email me

darren0311

Well I have Lionfish, they are always nice, I would go with a fuzzy dwarf, They will only eat what they can fit in there mouths. Dont get a volitan, to big and will eat your shrimp!

zeke92

I wanted to get a lionfish real bad a while back but this one LFS we went to made my mom believe they were deadly monsters. She thinks i'll die from one

I'll try and talk them into it though...only a dwarf would work? The CBS is full grown, so idk if that helps the situation or not.

darren0311

I would go with a fuzzy dwarf, They are nice to look at, The Volitans can get up to 12-15 inches, They get a Bad Rap, I have had all sorts of lions, and they never were agressive towards me at all, they actually reconize me and know when it is feeding time

prime311

I have to disagree on the eel. Theres countless accounts of people who have an SFE in aggressive FOWLR tank with no problems. Generally, once the eel realizes a fish isn't food they leave them alone. Smaller fish are obviously in more danger then larger ones though. Also, in regards to escaping, a well fed eel with plenty of hiding spots is more inclined to keep to its caves then try to jump out. Not to say it can't happen, but proper care and maintenance go a long way in preventing it.
All that said, eels and especially SFE's are real hiders, not the best show fish. Dwarf Lions are very cool and not really deadly at all heh. Their sting can hurt though and you should get the area under hot water asap if you do get stung. A Volitans Lion gets far too big for a 55.

zeke92

I've read of many people keeping them with fish aswell. If i recall the last time i made a thread about eels everyone said they would do fine as long as they are well fed. They said something along the lines of eels going after free food rather then chasing around for fish that are already in the tank.
I'll talk to my LFS and see what they say aswell since we have a tie on no and yes for an eel so far on here.

krj-1168

Well -over on your shark thread - I posted a nice like idea of a predator tank.
Eel - Dwarf Golden Moray (reachs only 10-12")
LionFish - Fuzzy Dwarf Lion
Angel - Coral Beauty (reach only about 4").
While 3 fish may not sound like alot - remember these are predatory fish, so they can be messy little eaters. Therefore it's best to keep the numbers down & beef up the filtration system.

zeke92

My parents aren't gonna buy another big glass tank. Whatever i get has to get along with fish in the 55g. My pare4nts said they would consider dwarf lions. So all i gotta do now is go to LFS and get there opinions.

zeke92

So if i get a lionfish instead of an eel what is better a fu man chu or a fuzzy dwa? they both have there goods, the dwarf is more cuddly looking but the fu man chu looks neat..

sepulatian

I was thinking of getting an eel for my 55 awhile back. I inquired on here. The consensus was that there is always the possibility that it will attack your other fish. Not necessarily to eat them, but the fish may get in the way when you try to feed your eel. I am very attached to Sir Quizzy (hawk in my avatar) and was not willing to risk it. I do have a fuzzy dwarf lion and a Zebra dwarf lion in with him. I have a pair of maroon clowns being grown out in one of my QTs. Unfortunately the males take a very long time to grow. The female is large enough to go in with the lions, but the male is not. I am looking to get a Toby puffer within a few days to add with the crew.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by zeke92
http:///forum/post/2767343
My parents aren't gonna buy another big glass tank. Whatever i get has to get along with fish in the 55g. My pare4nts said they would consider dwarf lions. So all i gotta do now is go to LFS and get there opinions.

Be careful of the advice that you get at the LFS. Remember, they are trying to sell you something, we are not.
Originally Posted by zeke92

http:///forum/post/2771804
So if i get a lionfish instead of an eel what is better a fu man chu or a fuzzy dwa? they both have there goods, the dwarf is more cuddly looking but the fu man chu looks neat..
Go with the fuzzy. Fu's are nice looking but require a skilled hand. They are difficult to get to eat.

fats71

Originally Posted by darren0311
http:///forum/post/2766513
Yes, Yes and Yes, I have snowfake eels in our store and when they get a little older they will eat anything that can go in there mouths, Plus they are tremendous escape artist! so watch out for them, If you are looking for a good EEL, A Zebra EEL is a nice EEL to have, I have one and I hand feed it and pet it also, Never had any issues with one! 55 should be ok for it Dep. on Filtration and if you are adding anymore livestock besides what you had metioned
My snow flake eel eat my chromis but has left my yellow tails alone and my dominos. I have 6 yellow tails and 6 dominos a 18 plus inch sfe and he never takes a second look at them. I have one domino that is about 4 inches long or just a bit under it is huge and he once in awhile chases a fish but for the most part my extremely aggressive fish are really mild.

zeke92

Looks like i'm getting a fuzzy dwarf. And btw, toby puffers are awesome, there interesting, social, have a personality, stay small, and don't cost much. there the perfect fish really

Only thing now is...finding a good colored fuzzy dwarf and talking o LFS to see if they can order one.
And my LFS is nice, they won't try and sell you crap, it's a locally owned business all about education and stuff. If you want something that won't live in your tank long, they refuse to sell it to you and suggest something better/cheaper.