So Is California Next?

bionicarm

Been doing a bunch of traveling lately, and only occassionally pass by this site. Never seen it so quiet.... (chirp, chirp)
Surprised no one has started a thread about the Japan disaster. Fortunately I've missed that part of the world during my recent traveling endeavours. I did come across this article talking about the possibilities of a major quake hitting the Northeast/California region in the somewhat near future. Hope it never happens. If the California Coast got slammed by a tsunami the size of the one that hit Japan, you could kiss LA, San Diego, and San Franciso goodbye...
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/14/6268123-is-japans-quake-part-of-a-cluster

meowzer

YIKES......I sure hope it doesn't happen either
I was thinking I read something about Japan...BUT that may have been FB

TERRIBLE terrible disaster there :(

aquaman

It is terrible what has happened there, God willing it will not happen here or anywhere again. As for CA they have been saying the big one will hit there long before I was born. I am not saying it will never happen, but I am tired of the sensationalism in news about something that has not happened yet.
And my prayers are for the people of Japan right now.

dmanatee

I was talking with my firm, along with one of my friends whose entire family lives in Japan and we all came to one conclusion. We are thank full that the new technologies along with innovative designs by engineers and architects have saved many lives. If you think about it, compared to the last "big quake" on the news, the death toll is significantly less. Better housing and preparedness saved many lives. Its unfortunate that you have to compare a developing nation and how disaster strikes and then to a developed country like Japan.
My friend said that his father was stuck in a subway when the quake occurred, followed by the tsunami, but thankfully their were safety features installed. He and the family were completely unharmed, though the same can't be said about their relatives "in jars" fared as well...
As for California...well lets hope the rubber feet under the skyscrapers remain lubricated and people continue to take proper precautions when building and living in an active area. Being where I live no one takes the time to recognize we are Meir miles from the worlds largest super volcano...that's overdue.....
just my thoughts...take them not as pesimistic but as a realist

reefraff

I don't think the termites holding hands that are keeping the house I am part owner of in Cal standing could hold their grip in anything above a 5.5

S

saxman

I'm waxin' down my surfboard and keeping my "chicken vest" handy so I can go out in a blaze of glory...playing slalom with the palm trees will be a challenge. COWABUNGA, doods!

ironeagle2006

Hell I am more at risk than you think there in CA. IL has the New Madrid Fault Zone that every 200 Years rips off 3 8+ Earthquakes in a row. She last let it rip OVER 200 years ago. And when she does go Chicago St Louis Memphis are Screwed. I was Smart I put Earthquake on my house my Insurance agent went why I went ever heard of the New Madrid Fault. He went OH crap I better put it on My house. He lives in Chicago.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///forum/thread/384542/so-is-california-next#post_3369160
Hell I am more at risk than you think there in CA. IL has the New Madrid Fault Zone that every 200 Years rips off 3 8+ Earthquakes in a row. She last let it rip OVER 200 years ago. And when she does go Chicago St Louis Memphis are Screwed. I was Smart I put Earthquake on my house my Insurance agent went why I went ever heard of the New Madrid Fault. He went OH crap I better put it on My house. He lives in Chicago.
lol, They've had a buncha smaller tremors associated with that fault over the last couple of years...