Sohal Tang info

R

rcreations

He's a beautiful fish, amazing to watch him swim. I wish I had a video camera... So far there's been zero contact with the Queen Angel. They're not avoiding each other but sort of passing by without any conflict, like you see in the picture I posted. It's almost like they respect each other? Initially the sohal didn't like the foxface but now there's no more problem between those two.
Funny enough the sargassum trigger has gone after the sohal a number of times. Sergei (the sargassum trigger
) has a routine... every day he does circles around the powerhead. Well, he doesn't like it when other fish get in his way and will chase them off, including the new sohal. Sergei's a very weird sargassum, nothing like what I read about these fish online, a lot more agressive.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/3161791
He's a beautiful fish, amazing to watch him swim. I wish I had a video camera... So far there's been zero contact with the Queen Angel. They're not avoiding each other but sort of passing by without any conflict, like you see in the picture I posted. It's almost like they respect each other? Initially the sohal didn't like the foxface but now there's no more problem between those two.
Funny enough the sargassum trigger has gone after the sohal a number of times. Sergei (the sargassum trigger
) has a routine... every day he does circles around the powerhead. Well, he doesn't like it when other fish get in his way and will chase them off, including the new sohal. Sergei's a very weird sargassum, nothing like what I read about these fish online, a lot more agressive.
Oddly enough, the only fish in my tank that has ever tried to stand up to the Sohal was my Sargassum....It didn't go so well for him, but hey, at least he tried.
Segei, haha, mine is Sabastian the Sargassum as named by my daughter.

R

rcreations

I'll pass that along to Sergei. Maybe he'll stop trying to chase off the sohal.

R

rcreations

You know, up until I got this Sohal, I thought Tangs were very stupid fish. Yeah, they're active and pretty but of the ones I'd seen, they seemed just very stupid. But this Sohal I place right up there with Triggers as far as intelligence. He's already caught on to a lot of things like where the algae and nori is kept, the times when I feed, when someone comes down the stairs, he goes to that side of the tank and looks to see. He's also very responsive to people sometimes a little too much. Like when I put my hand in the tank to put in the algae clips, he almost got me a few times. I think he fits in really well with my other triggers.

kjr_trig

My Achilles in my previous tank, and current Sohal I think are very "bright" fish. I'm convinced my Achilles only got excited when I (the feeder) was near the tank, everybody else he ignored. Sohal is quite similar, though I did have to get a fake tree on one side of the tank so he would quit fighting with his reflection, we call it his therapy tree.

R

rcreations

Well, the sohal has established his dominance in the tank and seems to be generally ok with the other fish, since they all learned to get out of the way. And as long as the other fish get out of the way, he doesn't really pay them much attention. Occasionally he'll chase one of the others but not anything serious and nothing the queen angel hasn't done before.
If anything the general agression has gone down since I put him in. The queen angel no longer chases the other fish and the clown trigger minds his own business. They've all accepted the new fish as the boss.

penske38

I've got a Sohal, Emperor Angel, Niger Triggerfish, 2 Fox Face, Blonde Naso (very large), Hippo Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Powder Brown Tang and a Chocolate Tang. They all get along fine without any problems.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by penske38
http:///forum/post/3168812
I've got a Sohal, Emperor Angel, Niger Triggerfish, 2 Fox Face, Blonde Naso (very large), Hippo Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Powder Brown Tang and a Chocolate Tang. They all get along fine without any problems.
Wow, and now this thread is complete.

crypt keeper

http:///forum/post/3219678
you got a nasty attitude dude.
99% of the time the fish you listed, well I should say the tangs you listed fight to the death. Post pics and we will shut our mouths very simple.
I laughed at kirks response. Gotta love SWF

penske38

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3219694
99% of the time the fish you listed, well I should say the tangs you listed fight to the death. Post pics and we will shut our mouths very simple.
I laughed at kirks response. Gotta love SWF
Obviously, someone doesn't have much experience with fish. The fish that I have are for the most part, extremely peaceful. My fish get along because of the order they were introduced into the tank. You should know that introduction is key. There is a hierarchy involved. The Emperor Angel and Sohal Tang were the last fish added to my tank. Generally, novice fish keepers are unaware of that very simple technique.
BTW, you can have that one...it's free!

crypt keeper

http:///forum/post/3219756
Obviously, someone doesn't have much experience with fish. The fish that I have are for the most part, extremely peaceful. My fish get along because of the order they were introduced into the tank. You should know that introduction is key. There is a hierarchy involved. The Emperor Angel and Sohal Tang were the last fish added to my tank. Generally, novice fish keepers are unaware of that very simple technique.
BTW, you can have that one...it's free!
two people doubt your ways another laughs at you through anothers comment and you pick me Its very simple. To have those fish your tank must be very large. You have a few hundred in fish. Im spretty sure you can afford a decent camera. Post em up. Till then you have zero credit with just spouting off a fish list that many people call bs on.
Everything has been done is this hobby bud. Doesnt mean it works.

R

rcreations

Well, my Sohal seems very well behaved, especially after moving the Foxface to my other tank. I haven't seen him pick on any fish since then, just minds his own business. Gets a little agressive with the nori sheets, but that's it.

G

gtdarock

Hey Petey ! I say "BUMP" this thread up !
I just read through everything to get a little more experience on the Sohal Tang. I'm planning my game plan. So how is this wonderful specimen doing-? Any new updates

R

rcreations

He's doing great and gets along fine. Only time he gets violent is if I try to put nori on a clip. Then he goes after any fish that gets even close. But I found a good solution for that. I just break up the nori in small pieces, soak it for a little, then dump it in the tank like food. No agression at all this way.
Otherwise all fish pay him respect, except my sargassum trigger who doesn't seem afraid of the sohal. He'll even steal food from his mouth. Crazy little fish.
I'll say one thing though... he's a lot less agressive now than he was when I first put him in the tank.
As far as food goes, he's not picky. He eats what I feed my other fish: Rod's Food, Formula 1, Angelfish Formula, Emerald Diet, raw shrimp, squid and clams and the occasional NLS pellets. Really goes nuts for the raw shrimp. Plus of course lots of Nori and algae.

kc19

A decent shot of my sohal tang. The coloration on mine seems much more subdued. I mostly just feed him pellets and dried seaweed using a veggie clip.
Definitely the king of my tank. Hasn't really harassed the yellow tang though, and the Koran basically ignores everything.

G

gtdarock

Glad all is well with the Sohal Petey. How is the Rod's Food, I never used it before.