Soliciting advice on my overflow & return

adurost

Just read truehle's post about his DIY sump and I think I messed up royally with my most recent purchase...
I've got a 90G DT with a wet/dry filter box standing in a 20G long as my sump. My pump is a Mag 9.5 with 4' of 3/4" tubing for the return (calculated 850 gph after head loss). I have a used (read: cracked and repaired w/silicone sealant) HOB overflow box that looks like/measures out like an Eshopps PF-1000; 2 1" bulkheads and 2 U-tubes. Attached to each bulkhead is 3' flexible drain pipe that connects to the lid of the wet/dry. The intank skimmer box is even with the siphon holes I drilled in the return outlet.
My dilemma is this: I can't maintain a siphon in both U-tubes regardless of the level I set the skimmer box; I can start both tubes but 1 always ends up sucking air and stopping after a while. However, when the pump is turned off and then back on, the single remaining U-tube siphon is not strong enough to equalize the water level; the DT would overflow except for the fact that I start a siphon in the other U-tube and remove the first one and then everything levels out fine in a couple minutes.
Since the overflow box is cracked anyway I decided to purchase a new one. I figured that the 2 bulkheads were probably draining faster than the pump was sending water back to the DT, so I went with the Eshopps PF-800 (rated for 800 gph and with a single bulkhead), and since there was an (unused) ball-valve already installed on the Mag 9.5 I figured I could dial back the pump a little and make the flow in and out equal. Now, after reading about that guy's problem with a Mag 9.5 and a PF-1200 I'm afraid that my equipment is totally mismatched! The new overflow was delivered today, but I haven't opened the box yet because I want to be able to return it with the least amount of hassle if indeed I did make a poor selection.
Thanks for taking the time to evaluate my situation and reply!

aquaknight

Sounds like you are fine. I used a Mag9.5 on my 29gal reef with a Hurricane filters 600gph overflow box with zero problems (though it did feed my refugium too). Just use the ball valve to dial back the Mag if you have to, like you suggested.
Just making sure, but the ball valve is on the return line, right? Not on the inlet of the pump?

adurost

Whew! I was really hoping I would be ok becasue I didn't want to have to try and return the box (and pay +/- $50 return shipping in addition to the original amount!!) And yes, the ball valve is on the return line.
Thanks for confirming that I wasn't crazy when I made my selection.