Some beach inverts - ID?

hefner413

Well, just got back from south carolina. I picked up a couple fellas in the surf. Yeah, I know they might have pollution, parasites, etc. That's why they are currently in my QT. I'm not sure exactly their ID though. Seems to be a queen conch and a moon snail? Any idea if they would be harmful for a reef? And how long would you leave them in the QT?

blazehok68

i think that may be a fighting conch. my queen conch doesnt have as big of "horns" as that one does. and i havent the slightest idea as to what the other one is.

hefner413

wow. Thanks for the help all!
Well, obviously they won't be going anywhere near my reef then.
They could be some snacks for my aggressive tank. Especially the moon snails. Would you think this would be a bad idea?

fishygurl

i wouldnt see why it would be bad as far as like nutrition, cuz dont aggressive things just eat inverts in the ocean anyways?
On a side note maybe they could introduce new diseases just because they are foreign idk.
Just wait for more opinions those are just my thoughts/guesses.

hefner413

I agree Fishygurl. the disease / parasite idea is what I worry about, I guess. I just wonder... do not all the things we get for LFS's and online come from polluted / parasite filled oceans anyway?

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Hefner413
http:///forum/post/2705154
I agree Fishygurl. the disease / parasite idea is what I worry about, I guess. I just wonder... do not all the things we get for LFS's and online come from polluted / parasite filled oceans anyway?
No, IMHO. As far as Ich, Velvet, and Flukes are concerned it's my opinion that fish carrying these are 'infected' some where along the line of distributor, wholesaler, LFS. Marine Ich is almost non-extinst in the wild. The reason? Ich can't survive over that much territory. However, when you stuff 30 tangs in roughly 300gals like at the wholeseller, it spreads like wild fire.
However, things likes internal paratises among certain species of fish, and parasitic isopods on large fish, are somewhat common.

hefner413

so would you worry about putting these in the aggressive tank as snacks? And maybe a couple would be left alone and serve as a cuc?

aquaknight

Not really, I think they'd be fine (as food at least). Give them a week in QT, since you have it set up already. The only concern would be what type of conch that it, if it's the dangerous strongly posionous type, but I'm pretty sure those aren't found in the Atlantic.
Research him before you add him (or just add to the sump/refugium like I did with some "mystery" conchs
).

zeke92

i say just feed it to them. unless you see visible signs of something i wouldn't worry too much.

hefner413

Thanks guys. Sounds good. I'll look up the conch to be sure. Then I'll give them another few days in the QT to be safe and then see how it goes!

hefner413

lol... not to make fun, but cuttlefish and octupus - I must admit I didn't expect those answers...
It's definitely a snail of some sort, but I just didn't know what kind.