Sooz' 55 Gallon Hex Tank Diary

sooz

Ok, since "everyone else" has a tank diary, I thought I would start one, too. :)
May 26, 2007 my tank "arrived" at my home. The guy who services my Mom's tank at her workplace had a client who suddenly wanted to be free of 3 large tanks. He offered the smallest of these, a hexagonal 55 gallon tank, to my Mom for $175.00 (tank, stand, filter, live rock, and inhabitants, as well as initial setup!). My Mom knew I was open to the idea of taking on a salt tank, as I have had fresh tanks for years and have enjoyed helping her learn about her salt tank at work. This was an incredible price, and so we jumped on it. On that rainy Saturday, he and his wife came to my house and set up the tank. I did not think to take photos during setup, but here are some pictures I have taken within the 2.5 weeks it has been set up:
Entire Tank:

Close up of Live Rock (you can see my PJs (Keith & Doris) and my Coral Beauty (Velvet) as well):

Coral Beauty (Velvet) and My "Purple Chip" Starfish (CiCi):

Decent picture of Keith & Doris:

Good picture of CiCi:

I will post a picture of my Yellow Tang when I get one! At first, if I went near the tank, she would go inside the live rock and stay there. Now she is getting less skittish, but I have not taken any pictures this week.
(By the way, I name all of the critters in my tank - sorry if that is completely weird! My PJ's were named after my deceased aunt & uncle - Keith & Doris, because one of them really looks a lot like my late uncle Keith!
)

sooz

Yes, I know that is the opinion of most. I inherited this tank as is, with all inhabitants, and the prior owner got Enda (the yellow tang) from a guy who had her in a 25 gallon reef tank! So compared to where she was, she is free and easy. But I am prepared to pass her on to my mom's tank (125 gallon) if she gets too big or if I bring in many more fish.

bjsbargain

Originally Posted by sooz
Yes, I know that is the opinion of most. I inherited this tank as is, with all inhabitants, and the prior owner got Enda (the yellow tang) from a guy who had her in a 25 gallon reef tank! So compared to where she was, she is free and easy. But I am prepared to pass her on to my mom's tank (125 gallon) if she gets too big or if I bring in many more fish.
When I was sold this tank he added in the YTang from his 29 gall. so I figured the 55 was better for now. Here are some pics of him enjoying the hang over.

sooz

Looks just like mine! "She" loves to get under and inside the live rock - I am amazed at how well they can estimate the space between rocks - sometimes she "zips" right between them.

sooz

Finally - a fairly decent pic of my Tang, coming out from the LR:

Whole Tank:

p.s. (please do not give me grief about my Tang. I have already explained why I have her and my intentions regarding her. Thanks.)

sooz

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Where in Texas are you?
Southeast of Houston - Clear Lake/NASA area.
My brother went to nursing school in Temple - they have a great Civic Theater there. Both he and I went to Baylor - not too far from your stomping grounds.

valgae

Nice tank. hey tx reef where r u from? Im in victoria dont know too many sw people down here. i frag alot and just end up gettin credit from lfs in corpus or houston .

sooz

Very funny, curryfishman!!!
(Actually I put her on the classifieds today
)
Thanks Chankanaab - I target feed him squid. He likes shrimp pellets, too. :))
Thanks, Khaari
I like your avy - I have a betta named Cyan that color (not in my salt tank, of course!)

sooz

Finally got some really great pics of my Queen Conch. She is just over an inch long and a great little cleaner! The other shells you see are empties I have in there for my hermits.

sooz

Today I am drip acclimating a scooter blenny and 3 green chromis. This is my first experience with drip acclimation - I followed the steps on this site's tutorial to the letter. We are about 30 minutes into the process so far. The flash tutorial on this site calls for 2.5 hours acclimation, should that be enough? I bought the fish from a LFS which quarantines all of their fish for 15 days prior to putting them up for sale.