spotted hawk fish

ejensen

I got a spotted hawk fish a few weeks ago and noticed that I am missing most of my snails and all but two of my hermit crabs. All the fish are doing great and my water test are fine but where did they go. Are hawks known to go after them? I have read that they will go after shrimp but noting about the hermit and snails.

bean 1

I currently own a few different species of hawkfish including the spotted hawk. I've been lucky thus far as my hawks leave my inverts alone (sally's, emeralds, hermits and snails) but I never tried shrimp and I don't plan on trying given some of the fish in my tanks. I think hawks are like people, very different personalities with different likes and dislikes. The best way to avoid their natural instinct is to make sure they are the last fish introduced to the tank. This will give your other fish and inverts a chance to settle in. So far this has worked for me but as with anything, there are exceptions to every rule. As far as hawks picking on hermits and snails, I think a couple of the more notorious are the pixy and flame. Would be interested to here everone else's experience with hawks a well. I think they are some of the coolest fish in the marine trade! Good luck!