SPS and LPS differences. Pros/Cons. Difficulty level.

M

mamamarie85

I am new to saltwater tanks and want to learn as much as possible before purchasing anything.
-What is the difference between SPS and LPS?
-What would be an easier coral to begin with?
-Websites and/or Books I should purchase before starting a coral tank?
ALL advice on coral is greatly appreciated, I'm very interested in learning!!

1snapple

SPS- Small Polyp Stony corals. Mostly consisting of Montiporas, and acroporas (montis and acros) These take a much more established tank with lots of filtration and persitine water conditions
LPS- Large Polyp Stony corals; Consists of chalices, acans, and brain corals. Easier to take care of, less intense light it needed wherer-as SPS need a LOT of light. LPS tend to grow faster for me, you dont need as mature of a tank as with SPS but its still a good idea to have a stable tank. these you can spot feed whole mysis shrimps and watch them grow larger.
Ask questions here and search around here. There is a TON of great info all over this website filled with tons of people who would love to help you get started on the right track for a saltwater aquarium.
& welcome, would you mind telling us a little about yourself?
What size tank do you have?
any previous aquarium experiances? etc. etc.

oneradtek

yup and also there are huge differences in lighting requirements between sps and lps.
SPS love stronger flowing tanks, intense lighting and good water conditions. however as i have learned, this doesnt mean to go overboard with water changes and GFO and carbon and all sorts of stuff, it can actually have a negative affect. SPS loves phosphates below .05 and higher than 0.00.
easier sps for you to try once a tank is established long enough, and with proper flow and lighting would be birdsnests, monti caps, pocilliporas in my experience.

1snapple

pocilliporas (mine died on me.... its was cool too, a bright yellow)
I am a zoanthids/ palythoa man myself. though,

M

mamamarie85

Thank you all for your feedback! Your advice is very helpful!
@ 1Snapple:
I'm a first timer with saltwater tanks. I've had a couple fresh water tanks over the years but my husband decided he wanted to try saltwater this time. Our tank is 200 gallons (not typo lol) and right now we don't have much in it. We also have another 200 gallon tank that we just filled that we plan on using for just corals. My husband is the one who is doing most of the work, I'm just researching what I can online and at the library (though I haven't found many recent books there, they are all pretty outdated).