Stand Build

snakeblitz33

Poplar is a nice wood. Takes a nice stain. Gotta evenly sand it to make sure it stains evenly. Its also a little cheaper than maple or hickory for sure!

yannifish

That it is! I can get poplar for $11 a stick. I'm going to shop around a little more at a couple local mills and see what they have. Might be able to get a good deal.
Need some softwood first anyway.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannifish http:///t/395935/stand-build/20#post_3526559
Nice stand!
Hey acrylic, you used poplar on your stand for the big tank, right?
Your correct.....I did use Poplar on my skin of my stand and canopy.....Very easy to work with and takes stain nicely......The only caution I would give on the finish product of any material is don't sand any finer than 220.......Once you knock it down with 220 dust it down completely.....Never let the sanding dust build up on your project and keep running the sander through it.....Again after you get through the progression of sandpaper till 220 then take a warm rag and wipe down your project.....The water will slightly raise the wood fibers and then let it dry and hit it again with 220.....I do this a couple times till I don't get fibers raising.....You do this to avoid the stain raising the fibers......

aquiman

Here is an idea if you are still trying to figure out a way to attach your door to the frame rather easily. You can turn the top rails on your door frame into a set of beveled cleats that will hang on a mating set of cleats you can put on your frame. Something like this.....

novass

Theres a pic of the stand I built with 2x4s and 3/4 pressure treated plywood for my 55 Its 16" wide 52" long 26" high and it cost around 35-40$ to build. But I only have enough room for 2 10g tanks under it. I should have built it big enough for around a 30 gallon. So I just got a fluval 406 canister filter and im planing on running a 10g refugium in the future next to filter.

yannifish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiman http:///t/395935/stand-build/20#post_3527052
Here is an idea if you are still trying to figure out a way to attach your door to the frame rather easily. You can turn the top rails on your door frame into a set of beveled cleats that will hang on a mating set of cleats you can put on your frame. Something like this.....

Yeah, something like that. I'm going to ask some local woodworking guys I know too, see what their thoughts are. That's definitely long the lines I've been thinking too though.
Thanks Nova.
As far as trim pieces go, will poplar stained to look like hickory look good? Anyone have any experience?

acrylic51

No idea if poplar stained will look like hickory... I will add a good finish is all in your prep work as to the outcome....

yannifish

I'm sure I could get the poplar to at least match the color of the hickory, but after speaking with a friend (whose shop I will be using) I'll probably mill my own trim out of whatever hardwood I go with. That will definitely look the best.