Starfish Exposed to Air

truperc

I have read several times that a starfish exposed to air has a higher mortality rate.
Can someone explain why this would be? I read that an air bubble can become trapped in the mouth, but it seemed unlikely to me that a starfish could not release an air bubble.

calbert0

the chocolate chip star i have in my refugium/sump crawls itself above the water line pretty often.
He's been doing that for over a year with no ill effects.

cranberry

Ah heck! I see it! Well, that's awkward.
How about, I disagree with such a blanket description because there are many intertidal stars that tolerate exposure very well. Deepwater stars do not tolerate removal from the water so well.....

truperc

Thanks, can you tell me why some stars do not tolerate limited exposure well?
I see the warnings around, but I see very little in regards to explanations.
Makes me wonder how accurate it is, or if it is accurate maybe the actual reason behind it is still not fully known.

cranberry

I don't believe it to be an exposure to air kind of deal, at all but more of a removal from the water.
I could be wrong, I never really read up on it. But I know you can remove the ones that are commonly found for sale in the hobby.

btldreef

Starfish can definitely be exposed to air. I don't know why this rumor started in this hobby. Think about the numerous brittle stars that usual come along as friendly (and not so friendly) hitchhikers in LR. The LR is usually shipped in little to no water and these little buggers survive. I've exposed my brittles, serpents and sand sifting stars to air more than once, everyone is still alive.
The species that live deeper, it's more of a removal from water too quickly. Kind of how divers aren't supposed to come up too fast kind of deal to explain in short and simple.

dingus890

I have also heard this to. With my starfish I didn't expose him to air. I really try to not expose any of my aquatic animals to air. I do not think it will harm the starfish. What I have read is the air can get trapped inside the starfish tissue.Also have read this for urchins.
Who knows. I wouldn't worry about it if you get a starfish. Worry more about the care and feeding requirements

jrse7en

My sand sifter was accidentally exposed to air when he stuck to my powerhead and I took it out to clean it. I didn't know he was there and put him in a cup to take it to the sink. He was exposed for maybe 10 seconds and I panicked! He is doing fine now.

truperc

Well, the best I can tell, the starfish exposure to air is mostly myth which seems to be rather pervasively perpetuated on many sites.
It seems there is some questions around certain species to maintain Osmotic stability when exposed to air, but generally no issues arise until after 1-2 hours of exposure.
That said, I do not feel because I looked into a little further, I am now an authority figure on the subject. So I am open to contrary information.

ophiura

Originally Posted by TruPerc
http:///forum/post/3174483
Well, the best I can tell, the starfish exposure to air is mostly myth which seems to be rather pervasively perpetuated on many sites.
It seems there is some questions around certain species to maintain Osmotic stability when exposed to air, but generally no issues arise until after 1-2 hours of exposure.
That said, I do not feel because I looked into a little further, I am now an authority figure on the subject. So I am open to contrary information.
It is a myth, though I would not expose them intentionally for long.
It likely stems from trying to explain the high mortality rate of seastars in captivity. But this is more typically due to inability to adapt to synthetic salt mixes, improper acclimation and osmotic shock.