Starting a 20g Long

josiahdham

So I've been a fish hobbyist for a number of years but have never left fresh water. I did brackish for a little while but I think I'm ready to go into Salt. However, it has been a number of years since I read up on starting a salt tank. Can someone please help me out a little on what equipment I need for a 20g Long. I would like to slowly go into corals, anemones etc... so good lighting is a must.

btldreef

Welcome!I
Start with the Recommended threads here: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/list/15/new-hobbyists there is an abundance of info in those threads. That will definitely help you out, and then as you have more questions, feel free to ask.
One big question is, do you want a hang on filter, a sump setup or a canister filter.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiahdham http:///forum/thread/385903/starting-a-20g-long#post_3386617
So I've been a fish hobbyist for a number of years but have never left fresh water. I did brackish for a little while but I think I'm ready to go into Salt. However, it has been a number of years since I read up on starting a salt tank. Can someone please help me out a little on what equipment I need for a 20g Long. I would like to slowly go into corals, anemones etc... so good lighting is a must.
Welcome to the site!
To be honest MHs are still the best for coral, but the T5HOs and Leds are right up there doing a great job, but they don't have that MH shimmer that dances on the water.
Most important in my opinion is to fill the tank with Reverse Osmoses (Wal-mart jug type) water and use a good reef salt mix.
RO unit (it's easier than going to the store for it)
Power heads are a must.
A skimmer
Sump is the best, but wet/dry, canister, even hang on the back will do for filtration.
Live rock
Live sand
Refractometer (I used an hydrometer for years but it isn't as accurate)
A tub marked FISH ONLY and a utility pump with hose to go from the pump to the top of your tank for water changes. Also use the utility pump to churn the water and mix the salt 24 hours before use.
Hope this helps!

btldreef

LEDs actually have come a long way in the last year or so, their shimmer is now even nicer than what you get with halides.

1guydude

+1 LEDs are awsome imoe.....
u will need:
Books on sw aquariums
couple 5gal buckets *as stated mark fish only*
net
heater *prob a 100w for a 20gal*
thermometer *inside tank kind*
salt mix *i use oceanic in a blue jug but everyone has their preference*
water *doih*
lighting *depends on if u wanna do coral*
turkey baster
hydrometer *will do at 1st*
test kits *at least the basics Ph, anmonia, nitrates, nitrites*
algea cleaner *mag float, scrub brush, i have both*
hmmmm im sure im forgetting something lol
My number one on the list is books and this will help a lot....u can figure out ur livestock and other things as ur tank cycles...but thats another story
Welcome to the site and the hobby man!!!!!

S

siptang

Looks like you have everything you need here lol.
Welcome to the dark side!

josiahdham

So I found this light fixture but I can't find any bulbs for it...any suggestions? https://www.saltwaterfish.com/Zoo-Med-Aquasun-T5--HO-Light-Hood-30quot-2-x-24-Watt_p_4475.html
Sorry just trying to make sure I buy decent stuff without breaking the bank.

btldreef

That light isn't that great. How much money are you willing to spend on a light? You won't be able to support much under those lights, there are far better units available.
How handy are you with electrical wiring? You could do a DIY LED setup, it will last 10x as long, looks nicer and saves a bundle on electricity. Plus, you don't have to replace bulbs.

1guydude

LEDs are the bomb!!!!
however u wanna get at least a 4 bulb system when getting a t5 fixture...6 would be even better....one of the things i have learned through this site is that the individual reflectors DO in fact make a big diffrence in PAR...the more bulbs do give u a better color option as well so its not for nothin...the bulbs u get will also help. I recommend ATI or d-d grussiems! As far as fixtures i was recommended Tek lights... Nike is one of the in house professor for a lot of things but lighting seems to be his specialty, so hopefully he will chime in! Currently i have an oddsyea fixture and i WILL be upgrading either to a LED set up or a Tek light. Spend the money the 1st time man so u dont have to blow it like i have....its worth it!

josiahdham

Hmmm I found this LED light https://www.saltwaterfish.com/Marineland-Reef-Capable-LED-Light-24quot--36quot_p_5066.html would this one be good?

josiahdham

Also after doing some more research I think I have decided to go with a 33g long instead. The main reason for this is I would love to have a pygmy angel. I know that a 30g is the minimum for them but I'm hoping to be upgrading to a larger size after a year. Do you think a pygmy angel would be okay in a 33g long for a year?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiahdham http:///forum/thread/385903/starting-a-20g-long#post_3387128
Also after doing some more research I think I have decided to go with a 33g long instead. The main reason for this is I would love to have a pygmy angel. I know that a 30g is the minimum for them but I'm hoping to be upgrading to a larger size after a year. Do you think a pygmy angel would be okay in a 33g long for a year?
The pgmy angel would be fine in your 33g long forever. Make sure you have lots of rocks and they love to pick at algae. My Lemonpeel is trhe best algae eater I have.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/385903/starting-a-20g-long#post_3387026
That light isn't that great. How much money are you willing to spend on a light? You won't be able to support much under those lights, there are far better units available.
How handy are you with electrical wiring? You could do a DIY LED setup, it will last 10x as long, looks nicer and saves a bundle on electricity. Plus, you don't have to replace bulbs.
I don't know a thing about LED lighting...You don't replace bulbs????

1guydude

not for 50,000 hrs hehe....

also i would look into ecoxotic or orphek LED lighting...im no DIYer so the stuff aint cheap!

josiahdham

So I've found a canister filter, a protein skimmer, lighting, aragonite sand, live rock/base rock, power heads, 2 heaters, a chiller if needed(which I don't think I will need but just in case). Is their anything else I'm missing? If my calculations are correct I should be getting about 1500 gph with the power heads 180 gph with the filter(possibly going up to 260 gph), and the skimmer is rated for up to 40g aquariums. I can also add on another power head if you guys think I need one. I was going to do about 15lbs of live rock and 20lbs of base rock. Cycle the tank with a raw shrimp.
As for stocking I was thinking 1 pygmy angel, 2 black and white clowns(or 1 depending on what you guys think), and I was hoping to do 2 or 3 purple firefish. Does this sound okay?
The tank is going to be a 33g long. I'm thinking in the beginning just doing FOWLR but I definitely want to go into xenia's and polyp's.
As for CUC I'm a little confused here. I was looking at doing 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 emerald green crab and some snails. Does that sound okay?
What's everyone's thoughts?

csvengal

Hey good luck on the start-up! I did a 20 gallon long tank in the new hobbyists section recently, there were
some good posts by the community that were very helpful to me. All I had to start with was a book
so I was pretty green. I see now that you are thinking of doing the 33 long tank, I will
be interested to see how it turns out. How much live rock are you going to get and where from?
Also, please post pics throughout the process!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiahdham http:///forum/thread/385903/starting-a-20g-long#post_3387330
So I've found a canister filter, a protein skimmer, lighting, aragonite sand, live rock/base rock, power heads, 2 heaters, a chiller if needed(which I don't think I will need but just in case). Is their anything else I'm missing? If my calculations are correct I should be getting about 1500 gph with the power heads 180 gph with the filter(possibly going up to 260 gph), and the skimmer is rated for up to 40g aquariums. I can also add on another power head if you guys think I need one. I was going to do about 15lbs of live rock and 20lbs of base rock. Cycle the tank with a raw shrimp.
As for stocking I was thinking 1 pygmy angel, 2 black and white clowns(or 1 depending on what you guys think), and I was hoping to do 2 or 3 purple firefish. Does this sound okay?
The tank is going to be a 33g long. I'm thinking in the beginning just doing FOWLR but I definitely want to go into xenia's and polyp's.
As for CUC I'm a little confused here. I was looking at doing 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 emerald green crab and some snails. Does that sound okay?
What's everyone's thoughts?
Glad to see you are thinking thing through

Cleaner shrimp pick the parasites off of fish and eat a little of the fish food, they clean the fish not the tank.They have lots of personality and a plus in the tank but not as CUC.
I have 65 snails in my 30g...no crabs
20 nerite
20 Nassarius
25 Cerith
A serpent star or brittle (not a green brittle) is a great part of the CUC
If you get the firefish you need something to prevent them from carpet surfing. You don't want a top, it sufficates the tank but some kind of mesh. You don't want to add fish of the same body type or color, so choose 1 purple fish. 2 clowns will be fine. The dwarf angel is awesome too bad we can only keep one per tank. (unless you have a big tank)

1guydude

2 purple firefish would be fine imo....
they are schooling fish and u just need to add them at the same time simultaneously!