Starting a 29g bio cube

Nyshia barnes

Hello everyone. Me and my girlfriend are going to start a 29g reef build. I had a 55g that I ran for 2 years, but due to living arrangements I had to tear it down and sell off my set up. But now I have settled into my own home and had the time to start over. But I haven't been into this stuff for over 4 years and am having a hard time remembering the basics even. Can anyone point me to a thread that talks about it? Thank you!

eric b 125

There used to be "sticky" threads at the top of the New Hobbyist forum, but I don't see them anymore.

You'll want to look up how to cycle a tank and learn about the nitrogen cycle before you get started.

I recently went from a 200 gallon reef to a 29BC and honestly couldn't be happier. They are great little tanks. Some Biocube specific suggestions: if you're going to keep the stock lighting, keep an eye on your temperature. Heat is an issue with the stock lighting and especially if you upgrade the return pump to a Maxi Jet 1200.

There are a bunch of simple mods you can do to the tank. I switched the lighting to Steve's LED's which I am very happy with. I also added a media rack and skimmer into the second chamber. Not things you need to do, or do soon, but something to consider.

Last edited:

Nyshia barnes

Tank looks good man! I will post pictures of my old tank once I can figure out how to get them off my old camera. Those sticky threads were exactly what I came looking for but I couldn't find them either. I still have a while before I actually begin the build I am just trying to freshen up on the simple stuff for now. I will be picking up my tank from storage today and figuring out where I want to put it in my casa. thanks Eric!

sx450 rider

So this is my first account I had on here. Nyshia is my girlfriend. I was just having trouble getting logged into this one.

Last edited: