Starting A New Tank Build

psusocr1

o.k so im slowly but surely starting to collect all my materials for my 500 gallon tank that i will be building( im in no hurry as i just built my 200)
. It will be plywood with glass in the front and the dimensions are 8x4x2. my main question is should i make a built in overflow on the back wall, basically like a huge overflow box ?? or what i wanted to do is just make it RR witht he built in overflow's. But i dont know how many overflows to go with? do i just make two of them? one in each corner right? and if so how big for this tank should they be? something like 8inx8in?? or should they be larger?? i will also be using a 100 gallon fuge to filter so how large should the holes be from the overflow's? 1 1/2?? i plan on using two 3000 gph return pumps so i need to figure out the diamter the holes should be and if this would work out with flow rate??
im good at building tanks, but dont know all that much about dimaeter with flow rate so if anyone could help me out i would appreciate it!!

acrylic51

If you use the calculator on the other site it will give you an idea as to what size overflow and holes you would need to carry that amount of flow

psusocr1

acrylic and juiced
i tried to find it on the other site, but i cant... the pumps im geting are 3500 GPH at 5 feet of head its about 3000,, but ill say its 2800 just to be on the safe side...im not worrie d about that im more worried about how big my holes have to be for the overflow..should i just make them 2 inches? and would i get away with a 100 gallon fuge? or should i go bigger?? i dont want to build a 500 gallon tank and mess up on the fuge?? also im going to drill in the tank for the cloose loop but ill get to those questions later....
once again any help is appreciated

ohioguy06

Bobby cant wait for you to build this then my worries will be gone............i want to build one to but can figure out the whole epoxy thing?

juiced_rl

Originally Posted by psusocr1
acrylic and juiced
i tried to find it on the other site, but i cant... the pumps im geting are 3500 GPH at 5 feet of head its about 3000,, but ill say its 2800 just to be on the safe side...im not worrie d about that im more worried about how big my holes have to be for the overflow..should i just make them 2 inches? and would i get away with a 100 gallon fuge? or should i go bigger?? i dont want to build a 500 gallon tank and mess up on the fuge?? also im going to drill in the tank for the cloose loop but ill get to those questions later....
once again any help is appreciated
The head loss is part of the calculation for the over flow.
This is for 5600gph return
Drain and Overflow sizes are calculated as
Recommended minimum drain pipe diameter = 3.09 inches
Recommended minimum linear overflow size = 85 inches
Using the following input parameters
Tank Length = 96 inches
Tank Width = 48 inches
Tank Height = 24 inches
Tank volume is calculated as
Tank Volume = 478.8 Gallons
Using the following input parameters
Tank Length = 96 inches
Tank Width = 48 inches
Height of Water above Overflow = 2 inches
Flow through sump = 5600 gph
Sump volume is calculated as
Sump Volume need to handle tank overflow = 39.9 Gallons
Recommended Minimum Volume for sump = 95.9 Gallons

juiced_rl

For your drain pipe I would do two 1 3/4"
For your over flow I would do two that are 45" in linear length.
I wouldn't put them in the corners I would space them evenly on the back this will be better to distribute the return flow in the massive tank.

turningtim

Just an idea, but why don't you cut the back down to the water level (knoch) and build an attached overflow box on the back of the tank. Place 2-2" drains with durso's in the back OF. This way you will have nothing in the tank at all. The back will act as a Weir dam OF. IMO this would give you max. skimming of the surface of the water. If your worried that something may go for a ride, just fab a pc of acrylic w/teeth and attach to the inside of tank. With 85" of liner OF, then you would have plenty of room on either side for bulkheads for returns (1.5"-2").
Just a thought.
What kind of ply are you going to use and how thick? Are you going to use fiberglass mat and the two part epoxy?
Tim

psusocr1

TurningTim Just an idea, but why don't you cut the back down to the water level (knoch) and build an attached overflow box on the back of the tank.
this is exactly what iw as going to do, but the shitty part is that i cant lay it flush up agaisnt a wall i then have to have it at least 6 to 12 inches out...but it really doesnt bother me that much. I saw this design on a few sites and i liekd it alot, which as you states skims the whole top of the water. also i will cut the teeth directly into the ply.
What kind of ply are you going to use and how thick? Are you going to use fiberglass mat and the two part epoxy?
im going to use 3/4" exterior plywood. i looked at ACX ply and a few others. i have to do more research on the wood because i like what the ACX has to offer as far as no warping, duribility, great to screw into and fasten, it never cracks when you do this. But i also have to make sure its an exterior grade wood.
ill be using a piece of 3/8" glass on the front
and yes ill be using the fiberglass then the two part epoxy. i really like how it come out. its alot of sanding and applying but int he long run its great.
juiced thanks for the specs, and tim as always thanks for the input! BTW when is your tank getting underway? im startin to hear alot of the colorado boys are backin out of the DIY tanks now!!

ohioguy06

Originally Posted by psusocr1
this is exactly what iw as going to do, but the shitty part is that i cant lay it flush up agaisnt a wall i then have to have it at least 6 to 12 inches out...but it really doesnt bother me that much. I saw this design on a few sites and i liekd it alot, which as you states skims the whole top of the water. also i will cut the teeth directly into the ply.
im going to use 3/4" exterior plywood. i looked at ACX ply and a few others. i have to do more research on the wood because i like what the ACX has to offer as far as no warping, duribility, great to screw into and fasten, it never cracks when you do this. But i also have to make sure its an exterior grade wood.
ill be using a piece of 3/8" glass on the front
and yes ill be using the fiberglass then the two part epoxy. i really like how it come out. its alot of sanding and applying but int he long run its great.
juiced thanks for the specs, and tim as always thanks for the input! BTW when is your tank getting underway? im startin to hear alot of the colorado boys are backin out of the DIY tanks now!!

Would have to agree with ya on this one bobby but ass u see the ohio guy hasnt not only has he not backed out but the tank has gotten larger than was planned so!

turningtim

I would be very careful about cutting teeth in the ply! It seems to me that it would be hard to make sure they were sealed. This could be a weak point and once water (any water) hits that ply is gonna wick everywhere and de-laminate!
With that big of a tank you should price "11 ply baltic birch" and laminate 2 - 7/16" pcs = 7/8". This stuff has no voids or weakness and the surface is completely smooth. It is very rigid and will not bow. Prolly some euro-brace and a cross member and your good to go. The outside will finish very nice too!
Its not the cheapest way to go but it will be bomb proof!

3/8" glass at 8'????? :notsure:
I'll shoot you an email on my project. Don't want to highjack another one of your great threads.

Tim

psusocr1

With that big of a tank you should price "11 ply baltic birch" and laminate 2 - 7/16" pcs = 7/8".
thanks for that advice shoot me an email wher ei can llook for this stuff..
3/8" glass at 8'?????
it is at 8' but you have to remember its only 24" high if it were a higher cut that i needed i woudl make it thicker. i know iw ould be able to get away with the 3/8" though. i mean i might go thicker but i dont think there is any need for it when i put in some numbers with pressure formulas. but well see
time once again thanks for the advice its always appreciated. make sure you drop me an email and we can chat more about our projects