Starting a saltwater aquarium

No, you have plenty of ammonia. Keep testing until it falls to undetectable levels, then test for nitrites (which are also toxic). When the nitrite levels have fallen the tank is ready for its first living organism.
Great! Thanks for the feedback! I will continue! Thanks so much!

geridoc

I usually assume that cycling a tank from scratch (w/o live rock) will take 4-6 weeks. If live rock or sand is present it can take from 0 to 3 weeks. Be patient.

jay0705

Let me pose a ? I'am upgrading tanks. All my lr, old filter, decor, ect going in new tank. Sand will be new, seeded w sand from the old tank. Should I expect a cycle?

lmforbis

When I did that (55 to 125) I had a short mini cycle. I just tested daily and use prime for a week or two. I had no casualties.

saltwater plants like Turtle Grass or do you mean Macro Algae like Caulerpa?
I guess any saltwater plant. I don't know what else to do with my tank other than to wait for it to cycle. I was thinking maybe I can put plants in while it cycled. but maybe thats not a good idea. What is your suggestion?

beaslbob

In saltwater there are very few actual rooted plants with circulation system Like the turtle grass mentioned by Guy. But there is a great variety of macro algaes some of which look like FW plants (will kinda sorta anyway).

IMHO you should start your tank with macro algaes just like setting up a fw planted tank only to best it use some kind of refugium to protect the macros from the livestock.

In my old 55g I just crammed in a 1/4 square plastic grid (egg crate) 3" in front of the back glass and added a couple of shop light utility fixtures behind the tank pointing forward to light up that area. Nitrates which had been 40-160ppm form almost a year dropped to unmeasureable in 3 weeks.

my .02

bang guy

I guess any saltwater plant. I don't know what else to do with my tank other than to wait for it to cycle. I was thinking maybe I can put plants in while it cycled. but maybe thats not a good idea. What is your suggestion?
I would definitely wait until after the tank is fully cycled and stable before adding macro algae (I think that's what you mean by plants). Otherwise you risk having unstable bacteria colonies. If the live rock already has some macro algae sprouts then that's fine, just keep it closely trimmed.

I asked about plants because there are a few saltwater plants. These require a very mature system with nutrients in the substrate. Other than photosynthesis making sugar Macro algae gets all of its nutrition from the water while plants get most of their nutrients from their root system.

Adding some live rock is an excellent suggestion. Then you can have something to do when you try to identify all of the fun little critters that come on and in the rock.

Will this be a reef tank with coral?

Hi guys...so my aquarium has been cycling for a month now. I've been doing the ammonia & nitrate test everyday & the numbers seem to be staying in the same place. I took pics of the results if you guys can tell me if its at 00 ppm cause I cant really tell. And also my water levels are depleting now. How do I replenish the water? Thanks for everyone's help.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Ammonia.jpg