Starting an HOB overflow

reeferdc

How do i start the siphon on this unit? There so no siphon tube or anything.... Will it start when the water level gets to high???

pco1988

take some airline tubing and shuve it up the U. then suck until you get water coming out and get rid of all the air.
Phililp

escape2thewater

Originally Posted by pco1988
take some airline tubing and shuve it up the U. then suck until you get water coming out and get rid of all the air.
Phililp
Then be careful to stop before it gets into your mouth!!!
Escape

reeferdc

urrr soo frustraiting.. ive been trying to figue it out for like an hour... lol
Also my return pump in my sump is kinds lound.. any way to shut it up? Or is it just a cheap pump???

reeferdc

common guys! IM all set up and ready to SUMP!! I just cant start the damn overflow!!!!
Someone PLEASE!!!!!!!!

squidd

You got the picture there...
See where the pump is supposed to hook up ..to the airline barb...?
Hook an airline to that and suck the air out to tget the water to fill the box...
then plug the hole...

bigb

I'm guessing you don't have that pump in the picture? You should think of getting it, they run about 12.00 and the CPRs will get air stuck in them and cause the siphon to break. That pump constantly pulls the air out and will also restart the siphon after a power loss.

pbienkiewi

Ahh.... I have the same one.... What I did was get the air tubing then put a check valve in it so youi can suck the air out............

:cheer:

Oh yea I forgot to tell you to add water to the front and the middle of the over flow.......

reeferdc

wait so how do i start the siphon??? just suck on the air valvue at the top???? I dont know how to start the siphon thats the problem...

reeferdc

so should I raise the water level in my display very very high??? I tried sucking and there is no way that me sucking is going to get the water to go over...

jasenhicks

Reefer, that little gray pump on the top of that picture would probably be a very wise investment. They are super cheap. What they do is suck against air and lift water up into a void space, liek your HOB overflow. Also you need to put some water in the chamber on the back to get a water seal on both sides so that you can start the siphon. I have an aqualifter pump that i used for about a week before i bought a drilled tank. I can send it to you for $15 shipped priority mail. Basically you take some airline tube hook one end to the barb fitting on the over flow, then it hooks to the pump. the outlet of the pump then has some airline tube you just put down the drain line of the over flow... it sucks air out of the top of the void space in the overflow box and pumps it down the drain. ITs a very minimal amount, but it starts and maintains the vacuum if a power outage occurs. If you want this aqualifter, paypal the money to jasenhicks@hotmail.com and it will ship today!
Jasen

adamc1303

To get the pump quiet put a pad under it you can use a filter pad. I do not know how to start a siphone because I have a regular overflow, but before you do start it fill the sump with water just up to where you want the water level to be. Because once you do figure out how to start the siphon if the water level in the display tank will drop because the sump will be filling up, the siphon will break causing you to do this again.

reeferdc

thanks alot of your help guys.. And thanks for the offer Jason but I actually just bought one last night..
Thanks alot for your help ill post some pics ASAP!!!

jasenhicks

Originally Posted by reeferDC
thanks alot of your help guys.. And thanks for the offer Jason but I actually just bought one last night..
Thanks alot for your help ill post some pics ASAP!!!

No prob reefer... i had a bit of a time finding them in my area, and now i have the extra just sitting here. Good luck!