starting the overflow

megan84

After much sitting on my hands, I'm FINALLY ready to get my tank up and going. I have two overflows running to my wet/dry but can't seem to get the siphon started :( The guy at my LFS explained it all to me when I bought my wet/dry and overflows but it's not working! I have a 3/4" U tube for the overflow box and i have this itty bitty tiny tube that he said I could thread through the U tube to start the siphon. Even looking at it, it doesn't make much sense. I can obviously get the siphon started through the itty bitty tube but that's supposed to come out and the water is supposed to flow through the actual U tube. But since the U tube is so much larger in diameter, I can't get the suction started in it using just the itty bitty tube.
Does that make sense? Here's a pic

Thanks!

freeweights

Well you have the rite idea, thats the way i do mine. The small dia hose has to go into the U-pipe where the air bubble is, both sides of the U-tube should have water in it up to the middle ,then you put the end of the small hose up into the air bubble then suck out the air and it should start to go if you want to you can leave the small hose in the U-tube for next time

megan84

DUH!! Oh my, sometimes my lack of thinking things through is really just scary. I didn't have water in both sides. Just the side in my tank. DUH DUH DUH. thanks :)

freeweights

Is you U-tube longer on one side???? that is the side that goes in outside part of the box. Fill up the both inside and outside boxes so you have a little air bubble rite at the top of the U-pipe then put the hose end only up to where the bubble is then suck the air out and it should work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,An other way is to turn the U-tube upside down and fill it with water,make sure there is no air in the tube then cover both ends with Saran wrap ,Put the tube in where it belongs then pull off the Saren wrap. Hoped this is helpful

megan84

In order for a siphon to work, there can be absolutely no air bubbles right? Not even a little one, no air bubbles at all. If there's a small bubble right at the top of the U, that will break the siphon right?
I'm learning a lesson in patience today Grrrr

megan84

AND THEN....how the heck do you get that small bubble out?? I can get my siphon to flow....veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrry slowly. I can suck all the air but that little bubble right at the bend of the U. I'm thinking this is why my siphon sucks...no pun intended....

jdl

it could be slow because the overflow isnt getting water at a fast enough rate. Once the siphon is created, the speed is determined by the flow of the water back into the tank and the position of the overflow. Lower it to get more water and faster siphon. That tiny air bubble in the top of the U should disappear with a faster flow.

stdreb27

yeah just fill both sides of the box, stick in a little hose and suck out the air. Make sure the water level is high enough for the water to pour into the inside box, and you'll be good to go. There can be a little bubble in the top of the U but if the water flow should push it out. If it doesn't redo it.

maeistero

another trick is to mark where your little bubble is on the top of the u-tube. get yourself an airvalve, drill a hole and put it in. connect your air hose to that and suck until all air is out but not in your mouth, close valve and be done.