Starting up a Reef tank 50 gallons

juniors04

Hello guys Im not new to the hobby but im kind of new to reef tanks. I have a 300 gallon fish only. Its time to start a reef tank! It a 50 gallon tank. Ok so far I have the Live sand in there, got the skimmer running, got the power head running, and got a damsel in there ive had for years in my other tank. I have not go Live rock for it or have not chose what lights im going to use. Ok can you guys please give me advice what to do next? What to get next? Oh and I only use RO water do not use tap. Ok here's a pic of the skimmer im using and pic of the tank.

meowzer

Nice tank...you're gonna have to empty some of that water when you add the rock...LOL....

What kind of filter are you going to use? You will need more powerheads too....and get the rock so you can start your cycle process....then once you decide what type of corals, we can research lighting

juniors04

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/379888/starting-up-a-reef-tank-50-gallons#post_3303700
Nice tank...you're gonna have to empty some of that water when you add the rock...LOL....

What kind of filter are you going to use? You will need more powerheads too....and get the rock so you can start your cycle process....then once you decide what type of corals, we can research lighting
Hello meowzer thanks for always replying to my topics
I was told the skimmer i bought would be able to run this tank with proper water changes. Was i given wrong advice?

meowzer

IDK...LOL...It's a skimmer right.....a skimmer skims.....a filter filters

HAHA....aren't I a lot of help

juniors04

haha. maybe I can add on a little filter to help. maybe like a emperor filter? How many power heads do i need? I have a power head thats rated 40 to 60 gallons.

meowzer

If you get a HOB filter, get one rated LARGER....

ALSO...I (PERSONALLY) like to have a few powerheads....this way you can position them so there are no dead (flow) spots

Looks like you have a maxijet (or rio) type....they are fine....I like Koralias, look into a coupld of 3's.....and you don;t need them yet. The one you have now is fine while you are cycling. You don't even have to run your skimmer during the cycle if you don't want to

meowzer

ELEMENTS??????? What do you mean??? Do you mean Supplements???

NONE......As long as you do regular water changes you should not have to add anything

flower

REMOVE the fish, don't cycle with a fish, and use a chunk of raw shrimp for pities sake.. You put your live rock in next. I love your decor, it's beautiful.

juniors04

Well thats true but usually they get by it. maybe ill just take him out. So im thinking of getting some lighting this week. I want a Anemone forsure and whatever other corals that can go with the Anemone.

spanko

I wonder how many tanks were started by using the put a fish in to start the cycle method? Was the accepted method for the longest time.

Just a question, not necessarily condoning the practice.

juniors04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyJoseph http:///forum/thread/379888/starting-up-a-reef-tank-50-gallons#post_3304402
Sounds like you need to do ALOT more research man. Take the fish out. When the tank cycles it will die.
I agree I need some research on Corals and stuff like that. As far as cycling a tank i think ill be fine. I cycled my 300 gallon tank with Damsels and live rock and everything worked out great! Tank is going on 2 years now. So what do you recommened for lights?

rickyh24

I may be wrong here but once you get going you're probably not going to want the Damsel in there anyways. So it may be better to just take him out now while he is easy to catch.

juniors04

yeah true its possible I may not want the damsel later. But enough with the damsel stuff i need some advice for lighting.