Starting up a Reef tank 50 gallons

meowzer

Weird.....I just [posted....and it disappeared

OK...I'll try again

could be aptasia or majano A Pest Can you get a better pic

ALSO....what's with the bubble bar

juniors04

it came out of my rock had no idea it was there when i threw some mysis shrimp in the tank it bloomed out. I dont know for some reason i like the bubbles LOL. So it might be a anemone?

gemmy

A PEST anemone. These can multiply quickly and sting corals. You want to be careful because I believe if spooked they have a defense mechanism that causes them to release spores into the tank. I think for aptasia a good remedy is Joe's juice.

meowzer

I like bubbles too...in my FW tank......they are not really for SW....not good for the fish....and whatever

levinjac

fresh water you need bubbles for circulation in salt water you have powerheads bubbles should not be in a salt water

levinjac

"AIR BUBBLES ARE BAD FOR A SALTWATER TANK. This means that you want to make sure your sump has baffles to prevent bubbles, and you definitely do not want any air stones in your marine aquarium – whether it be just fish or reef. Air bubbles cause problems to fish and corals alike. The negatives of an air stone/bubbler are: air can get lodged in a fishes gills, air stones do not give you gallon per hour turns - like powerheads do, can cause bubble algae (air bubbles all over your live rock - not the bubble algae emerald crabs eat), can cause stress to the fish (popeye), cause salt creep which in turn causes irregular salinity/SG, and when bubbles pop the water can get on your lights causing the life off your lights to decline rapidly. Some periodic air bubbles are not harmful, but constant ones are.

meowzer

They can cause issues.....I can't remember all the specifics though.....something about air and gills

levinjac

the air bubbles go into the gills pop and they cant take it if there is too much air bubbles and kick the bucket fresh water are hardier and are used to bubbles and actually NEED bubbles to thrive salt water just shouldnt have bubbles

gemmy

I think you maybe referring to gas bubble disease but I have to differ on the cause and here is why:

"Gas bubble disease, like Melissa said, is not due to air bubbles in the water, but actually dissolved gases (both O2 and N2). With many fishes, signs of GBD, will show up when the total dissolved gases exceed 110-130%. With some fishes, O2 levels of over 300% did not produce GBD. Usually, on smaller systems, this is due to the entraining of air on the intake side of a pump. The easiest solution to this is finding and fixing the pump, but having a trickle filter (dembolizing tower), water "fall" into the tank or sump or strong aeration in the tank or the sump will off gas any supersaturated dissolved gases. For this reason, as a protective measure, I have overflow drains, as opposed to siphon/suction tube, and aeration (usually in the sump) on all of my systems. This will also help off gas a build up of CO2 and the associated pH drop that some tanks experience when the lights go off. Also GBD will manifest itself in more than just the eyes, and unless the supersaturation is fixed, it is usually fatal in a very short period of time."

too lazy to put in my own words

gemmy

The why not's of having a bubbler (once again too lazy):

[*]
They are not as efficient as powerheads, water pumps, and/or protein skimmers are at creating water movement in an aquarium. All of these are much better at helping with oxygen and other gas exchanges at the water's surface.
[*]
They do not move water fast enough or in adequate volume for what a tank usually needs for good all round, vertical and horizontal, water circulation. This situation can also contribute to a low or insufficient GPH (gallon per hour) tank water turnover time.
They create a lot of salt spray, that in turn contributes to salt creep problems.
They clog up.br />[*]
They wear out quickly, and usually need replacing often.
[*]
They can give off irregular air flow.
[*]
Air line hoses can get pinched or kinked, which weakens or cuts off the air flow.
Many times the air pump chosen to run air stones is inadequate, resulting in low air flow pressure.
Some air flow pressure is lost the longer the distance the air has to travel through the clear tubing from the air pump to the air stones.
The deeper the tank water, the farther the air has to be pushed downhill to reach the air stones, resulting in loss of air flow pressure.

juniors04

Intresting stuff hmmm maybe i should take the air stone out my 300 gallon than? (But not completly sold). How many power heads would i need?