Storage for RO / DI water?!?

jherrin215

I am setting up my RO/DI unit for my 125 salt and 40 salt and was wondering what everyone else was using for storage tanks for the RO water. I had a 30 gallon trash can, but this really isn't as large as I would like. I got a 45 gallon and it's not as sturdy as I like. I am trying to get capacity for about 100 gallons and don't know what to get. I dont wanna spend a fortune on a container. Come on and share your great innovative ideas with me!!

al mc

Welcome to the boards. I have no innovative idea. I use two 44 gallon heavy duty rubbermade trash cans for water storage. You could try to find a used 90-100 gallon fish tank at a yard sale as a cheap alternative storage unit for the water or contact a local restaurant and see if they have any large food grade quality containers that you could have or buy for cheap.

jherrin215

I was wondering about using a used trash can. My grandparents have a large dumpster that they don't use that they said I could have but i'm scared something could have been put in there that could leach out and do more harm than regular tap water would've.

joncat24

Just go to Lowes and get a couple Rubbermaid Brute trash cans. They are heavy enough and you won't have to worry about what has been in the can before or if it will leach anything into the water

A

alexmir

i would not use a used one, whatever they put into it probably got into the plastic, and would leech into the water, no matter how much you cleaned it

I went to wally mart and got a 32 gallon trachcan for 13$, get the heavy duty ones, not the thin brittle plastic ones.

jherrin215

I think the brutes are looking like the way to go. I would really like to tie them together so I don't have to transfer water from one to the other to mix up salt. I would like to have one for salt water and one for RO water for top offs. This is seeming to be the way it's gonna go.

indyws6

Greetings

They weren't as cheap as Rubbermaid containers or Brute trash cans, but I wanted something that looked decent and was sturdier and a bit more permanent. So, I bought these (new) water softener brine tanks and "re-purposed" them for my needs. The one on the left holds saltwater mix and the one on the right holds RO/DI water (~45G each). Each is filled directly by my RO/DI system and I have plans to extend plumbing to the display tank for auto top-off and semi-auto water changes.
Hope this helps spur some ideas

jherrin215

Originally Posted by indyws6
http:///forum/post/2651611
Greetings

They weren't as cheap as Rubbermaid containers or Brute trash cans, but I wanted something that looked decent and was sturdier and a bit more permanent. So, I bought these (new) water softener brine tanks and "re-purposed" them for my needs. The one on the left holds saltwater mix and the one on the right holds RO/DI water (~45G each). Each is filled directly by my RO/DI system and I have plans to extend plumbing to the display tank for auto top-off and semi-auto water changes.
Hope this helps spur some ideas

That is EXACTLY what I want!! Do you happen to have links as to where you got these?? I am gonna set mine up to do almost automatic water changes, i just wanna mix the salt and push a button!! great setup!!

indyws6

Greetings

I don't have links - I bought them from a local water softener installation company. They are 18" (round) x 40" high brine tanks and (brace yourself) cost about $100 each. The markup on them must be substantial! (they are plastic tanks for crying out loud
)
However, they are sturdy, the lids fit well, the black plastic blocks all light and they came with float valves for poly tubing pre-installed. That made connecting them to my RO/DI system a breeze. Could I have gotten by with something cheaper? Yes. But, I justified it as a long-term investment. They provide a great starting point for my efforts to install automatic top-off and semi-automatic water change systems. I will be running a line in the crawl space from the RO/DI tank to the sump for the automatic top-off and a 1/2" PVC line from the saltwater tank for the water change system. It's not completely gelled-up, but I have a pretty good Idea of how I want to do it. If you are wondering, the panel above the tanks has several switched outlets to control a heater for each tank, a salt mixing powerhead and, eventually, pumps for the auto top-off and water change system.
If you were able to find the tanks from the actual source, and not a reseller, I'm sure the price would be significantly less. I checked all of the USual PLASTICS companies and could not find a similar product.
Good Luck - I hope this helps

jherrin215

Thanks, this is very similar to how i was thinking. I don't really wanna spend that kinda $$ on the tanks though. I found some 37 gallon containers that I think I am gonna use and try to hook up the same set up using these. Not dead set on it yet, but definitely an affordable option. They are only 26 bucks each!!

indyws6

Greetings

I had to convince myself that it was worth that kind of money, but after the investments I had already made in the tank and other equipment, I figured I might as well do this right. I wanted to put DIY spigots in the tanks for bucket filling and I thought I would have better luck getting a leak-free seal using a container made from stiff plastic. Same goes for the plumbing that will be needed for the auto top-off and water change stuff. So far, so good...
Take Care and Good Luck!

jherrin215

Yeah i still haven't completely ruled it out yet. The only thing i'm worried about now is how to connect the two tanks with no leaks since they are completely round. I don't want to have to pump water between the two, I want them to be cannected where when the first one fills it overflows into the second then when the second fills it shuts off the water flow. The second will be where I mix in salt with a ball valve between the two that I can open and shut when there is salt in the second tank.

indyws6

Greetings Again

That's one of the nice things about the tanks I bought - they don't have to be connected. They come with float valves that connect directly to the RO/DI system using Poly tubing. I have a Tee in the output line of the RO/DI with one line feeding each tank. Works like a charm

bluemarlin56

the brine tanks you guys are talking about are available not sure on cost, many sizes 50 gallons plus,DUFF. they are mfg. in different colors also, white green blue black. i also work on these , many are used in restaurants along with the dishwasher for better results. hope this helps.

jherrin215

your reply was helpful. It would be ton's more helpful if you knew where I could get these for about 25 bucks each!!!

jherrin215

I live near Glasgow, KY. It's pretty close to Bowling Green. That would be awesome!! I have found a few online but the shipping is CRAZY!!