strawberry hawaiian crab

ibew

I have had this crab for over a month now just curious if it is normal for it to hide all day and only come out at night and if so is there any chance it will come out during the day and also im not sure if it is eating and when I feed during the day its nowhere to be found can I get it to come out somehow is there any food I should offer it

mie

Sorry man you can't change an animal's behavior, They do there own thing, all you can do is catch them at there best.

orangespot

Mine has been in my tank for three years. I have seen it a total of 5 times. It apparently lives in the rockwork in the back and likes to lay low. I was surprised last month when I saw it because I have had some tank issues and assumed it died.

austin

humm thats strange my strawberrys are always out and active and no matter when I feed them they always race out from where they are to go get food.
when i had one im my 29 he used to go to the top of my rockwork and jump off and glide all the way down it was really great to watch I loved my strawberry soo much I bought him a mate

ibew

thanks for some backround on you straw crabs I must just have a very shy one he is very large too for this type of crab maybe as they get larger they become more nocturnal not sure but he doesn't come out during the day at all and I can't even find were he hides when I turn the light on in the room when the tank light is off he will be roaming around and as soon as he sees me he runs and hides sucks because he is such a pretty crab

B

blackaero1

I used to have a strawberry hermit and he was always out showing himself off. Until I noticed he took to liking the other inverts in the tank. Once I saw him feasting on my treasured conch he became the subject of a science experiment. I tried the conventional way of getting rid of him by posting locally free to a good home, when that didn't work I found out he could survive for a while in my front lawn. Then one day he wasn't alive anymore. I usually don't advocate outright killing something, but I was peeved at the time and strawberry crabs were a dime a dozen around here pretty much.