Stuck on skimmer choices

i<3fish

I am getting the 180-240 (not sure yet) FOWLR tank. I am going to be using a huge bio-ball wet/dry filter. So LR isnt going to be my only filtration. I have loked at the Superskimmer (220), the AquaC (too exspensive), Kent EX (not sure yet), and ASM G3 or 4 (still exspensive). I am wondering which is the best in that price range (around $300.00). I am looking into the Coralife, since I have heard such good things about them, and it would allow me to save more money for the other equipment (plumbing, filter, rocks, ect). So, if anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE MENTION THEM!!! Thanks!

mavgi

Originally Posted by I<3Fish
I am getting the 180-240 (not sure yet) FOWLR tank. I am going to be using a huge bio-ball wet/dry filter. So LR isnt going to be my only filtration. I have loked at the Superskimmer (220), the AquaC (too exspensive), Kent EX (not sure yet), and ASM G3 or 4 (still exspensive). I am wondering which is the best in that price range (around $300.00). I am looking into the Coralife, since I have heard such good things about them, and it would allow me to save more money for the other equipment (plumbing, filter, rocks, ect). So, if anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE MENTION THEM!!! Thanks!

go to asmskimmer.com and you can find there the asm g3 at $242.99 .remmber if you want to run fowlr tank at this size you will need and must to have very strong skimmer (the waste from the fish are a lot then coral)the wet /dry bio ball filter will make a problem with nitrate in the future and it's better to add a big refuge since you l/r will not be your main filter and even you get asm g3 it will not be good enough...

greg803

The coralife super skimmer does an awsome job. my friend has one on his 210 reef with a pretty heavy stock of fish and it works great for him

i<3fish

Really? So, the Coralife is a really nice skimmer? I am going to my LFS this Sunday, and plan on buying the new skimmer there and breaking it in on my 55g that I have running right now. I was going to get the ASM G3, but since everyone like the Superskimmer so much, maybe I will get that one...

saltfan

What ever you do don't buy the thing at a LFS. You can save yourself $30-40 buy buying it online. No kidding. Price the thing in the store, then check it out online.

i<3fish

Are the ETSS skimmers exspensive? Also, does anyone else have any opinions on what skimmer to buy... best bang-for-the-buck!
EDIT: I googled the ETSS skimmers, and they are pretty interesting. How good are the downdraft designs? What model do you have? I am looking at the ETS-SRDX. I am just curious about there performance.

i<3fish

I decided I am going to buy a ETSS skimmer. They seem really awesome, and alot of people really like them. Now I have the option between ETSS Revolution 500, and the Reef Devil Deluxe. Which would you suggest?

rrundle77

This company is actually 10 minutes from my hose so I had the chance to speak with the owner about proper operation and so forth. The reef devil is a bit finicky in regards to the placement, water level and sump. I would recommend the evolution 500 it is the skimmer that almost all of my lfs use . Let me forewarn you that these skimmers are $$ (highly recommend using ETSS sump) and hard to find on any auction site, I found the phone support less then spectacular , and a bit hard to dial in water level. When you get them set they are the best skimmer hands down, I just want to give you the whole picture!! Having said all that 500 with out a doubt.

saltfan

Originally Posted by FireRescue
If I was you I would go for the coralife. I have it and it works great and is inexpensive.
This one really works good, for this one, I'd say the best bang for the buck. It may be inexpensive, but the thing really works like the ASMG series, and you know how much everyone talks about them.