Substrate confusion

dfm34

Ok my 60 gal tank is coming in a few days and over the past few weeks I have been reading the posts on this site (very informative by the way). Anyway I have been totally confused on how deep and the type of substrate I should use. Price is also a consideration but hear is what I was thinking. I am looking to do a reef set up.
I was looking to do a 3” deep base (85-90 lbs of sand) with about 60 lbs of live rock to start. I initially was going all live (seamed too expensive though) then I thought of a mix but was concerned on the consistency of the look. Then I was looking at all non-live when I stumbled upon a website that was selling “real live sand” for about .99 per pound. My questions are
1)is 3” good of NNR
2)Should I go shallower and add more live rock
3)can the .99 “real live sand” be good if every everywhere else is selling it at 3x to 4x that
4) Play sand seams to get mixed reviews also
Any help would be appreciated this seams to a topic that the more you research the more different opinions you get???? :help:

sagxman

I think your initial idea is right on. I don't think mixing will be a problem either. Base rock will look like normal live rock with some time. I have a couple of pieces in my tank, but I'm not sure which ones they are since they now look like all the others.
I have not tried mixing sand, but I plan to soon. Play sand seems to get a negative response here. I saw some dry marine sand at one of the major pet store chains. I assume that would be fine for mixing. Just make sure to rinse your sand before putting it in.

hedonic

Originally Posted by dfm34
1)is 3” good of NNR
It has always worked for me, that works out to be just over or around 2lbs per gallon, but the 60gal is a a tall tank so maybe a little less. Over the years I have accumulated a 5-6" sand bed, and it is pistol shrimp heaven,
2)Should I go shallower and add more live rock
keep the sand bed deep and ad more live rock. In my expeirence there is no substitute for the biological benifits of a deep sand bed and as much live rock as you can cram in (providing there is still enough space for adequate water movement.
3)can the .99 “real live sand” be good if every everywhere else is selling it at 3x to 4x that
Bagged live sand, regardless of brand, is only sprayed with a biological solution similar to bio-zyme type products. They dry the sand first then 're-wet' it. IF your LFS has cultured LS, or if you know someone who can donate a few lbs' of LS, you would be better off just saving the money or being patient while cycling the tank. The overall benifit of sand like that is minimal, maybe decrease cycle time by a few days, maybe a week but nothing worth what they want to charge fir it.

4) Play sand seams to get mixed reviews also
play sand is full of silicates, and may not be calcium carbonate. Silicates in excess amounts can kill inverts and grow inordinate amounts of ugly sponges. Personally I would not use it, just stick to the dry calcium carbonate sand.

...the more you research the more different opinions you get???? :help:
that is the nature of the hobby. Even on this website, a lot of people will find one way that works well for them and swear it is the only feasable way doing some given thing. Take what you read and hear for what it is, some guy typing on the computer and waxing intelectual (myself included). In the end you have to find what works best for you, and for me that meant a little bit here, a little bit there, all blended together to form my working conceptual saltwater knowledge. This hobby is still a new one and sometimes there wont even be a real answer to you question, you just gotta keep on truckin'

dfm34

Thanks, once again this board has provided so great info I will keep in mind everything that that has been said and will post to the board once I am up and running.
Thanks again to everyone

turningtim

Just some more confusion for ya! I have run a DSB in a 55. Yes it works but I had a cyno issue that would not go away. The other thing is that a DSB takes up a lot of valuable room in the tank. A couple inches makes a world of difference in a 55-60 gal tank. It just decreases water volume and swimming area for the fish. I ended up taking it out and just going with a 2" bed. This also works very well for my sand sifting critters and no more cyno.
Do some more research on DSB and you'll find that is not just depth of sand but surface area that makes it function properly.
JMO
Tim

dfm34

The more I think about it the more likely I am to go with 2" base and more LR but then again I can change my mind a few times between now and tank setup time?!?!?!?

turningtim

You can always add sand its not that hard. Its easier than trying to remove it later. Been there done that! With 1-1.5 lbs of LR and a 2" bed you'll have plenty of bio-filtration and more water volume.
HTH
JMO
Tim

hot883

From my experience; if you place your rocks in first and then the sand, you use less sand. The rocks need to be on the very bottom also to prevent burrowing critters or fish from excavating and causing a collasp. If you do add to much sand it is very easy to get out by syphoning. HTH