sulfur reactor

jon321

Does anyone know where you can buy sulfur beads in 2-5mm range for use in a sulfur reactor?
Jon

talath

I make mine out of elemental sulfur right now. I melt it and pour it into a column of water to make nice little hardened globs. I'm meeting with one of our vendors tomorrow to find if he's got some small spheres available though. I'll follow up with what I find.

jon321

What kind of a place would you get elemental sulfur? And that would be great! Im kind of in the beginning stages of a DYI denitrator.
Jon

sarwiz100

Did the same project. You might be able to find the beads at a farm supply or a feed store. It is used for fertilizer as well. I just called them and the brand name is ESPOMA. It comes in 5lb bags.

moneyman

Thanks sarwiz, I needed this info also. Espoma website indicated that 'Garden Sulfur' is 90% Sulfur. I am curious what is the other 10%. How long have you been using this product? No ill effect?

talath

What I do is combine it with slaked and dried limestone slurry (CaCO3). I bring the sulfur up to ~300°F to melt it and slowly mix in the limestone. The final mixture consists of 2 parts of sulphur to 1 part of limestone (by volume) The sulphur I use is 100% sulphur. The limestone I use is commonly sold as #10 white. With this mixture I can keep the proportional values to support the reaction set forth by Liu & Koenig 55S + 44CaCO3 + 50NO3(-) + 18H20 + 4NH4(+) ----> 4C5H7O2N + 25N2 + 55SO4(2-) + 44Ca(2+) + 24HCO3(-) (Liu & Koenig 2002).

talath

I met with the vendor last night. He does have a larger grained sulphur that would be suitable. However, I made a filter pack using hydroentangled aramid and found it was more than sufficient to divorce the powdered sulphur from the graded dolomitic limestone in the fixed bed column. The "filter" was made from a 6" diameter piece of 1.8 oz aramid, but I'm certain that other materials would work just as well. Perhaps a filter element made from polyethylene floss or nylon floss. I decided to make this filter pack to take advantage of the powdered sulphur's high surface area per unit volume, and thus quicker reaction potential.
I'm going to make up a nicer fixed bed column from 6" acrylic with 8" flanges. I'll post some pics when I get it assembled. Here's something to remember about sulphur. Market value is about a two bucks a pound, so don't let anyone take you to the cleaners on it.

jon321

Excellent, Id love to see pix!.....and I have a feeling Im going to be "taken to the cleaners" on it no matter what
Jon