sump/refugium with protien skimmer OR hob with skimmer

bdacamel

Ok so I have a 20gal lng tank and also have a 15 gallonsmaller glass tank. I am wondering if it would be better to use my smaller tank and building a refugium/sump in it with an overfow box or if maybe I should just get an all in one skimmer/refugium that HOB.
What do you think?

sweatervest13

sump and overflow is the way to go. HOB all in ones are okay, but you have a lot more possibilities with a sump set up.

bdacamel

yeah thats what I relly want to do. Its just the all in one units are cheap and less work. I figure if I build my own it will look a lot better and be WAY more stable as I can hold more water. Do you have any ideas on a good overflow system that wont break my wallet "too" badly?

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdacamel http:///t/394467/sump-refugium-with-protien-skimmer-or-hob-with-skimmer#post_3511040
yeah thats what I relly want to do. Its just the all in one units are cheap and less work. I figure if I build my own it will look a lot better and be WAY more stable as I can hold more water. Do you have any ideas on a good overflow system that wont break my wallet "too" badly?
do you want to drill the tank? If so, check out glassholesdotcom (.com). They have some kits that come with a diamond drill bit and the overflow. I have never used a siphon style overflow, but I have heard chatter on the CPR overflows (please research though because I have read good and bad). HTH's

bdacamel

thanks a lot thats a lot of info to check out. I really dont want to drill the tank so an overflow box is the only idea i can think of. Is there a kit that goes from an overflow to a DIY sump/refugium?

sweatervest13

any HOB overflow can go to a sump (that's the only reason you would have a HOB overflow is to go into a sump, LOL). Don't be intimidated by drilling a tank. its really not that hard. Anyone will tell you a drilled tank is a better option then a HOB overflow (they can lose suction and stop working). Check out some Youtube vids of people drilling tanks. I was super surprised when I drilled my first tank at just how easy it was.

bdacamel

I think the CPR CS overflow looks nice. What do you think? then i could put a protien skimmer in the refugium and grow some macros. I couldnt find the drilling kits.