Sump: Will this work for a 20 gallon aquarium?

kdsealyon

Yes I did. Just as you advised. I'm so excited. :) I added three small live rock last week hoping it would make the cycle faster. I' m still ghost feeding too. I have chaeto on the way also.

Last edited:

kdsealyon

I'm so excited I've been dancing. Little Toot does not like that ten gallon and neither do I. Due to the different strong currents from the protein skimmer and the HOB filter, we can't interact with one another like before. We both get frustrated when the current yanks the food I try to give her goes in the wrong direction. If she takes it from me physically, she loses it on her way to one of her hidey holes and the currant zips it away from her again. I got a couple of sand moving snails for the tank. She does find them fascinating, and she isn't interested in eating them at least. If they come in her direction, she scuttles away. I love watching her. She is a hoot. I'm looking forward to that 20 gallon. :)

My hubby is getting cranky though. I have six tanks and all of them plugged in; protein skimmer, algae scrubber, pumps, etc. One houses my terrain hermit crabs, another isopods (pill bugs), and two tiny tanks. One is for an emergency and the other holds my Opae Then of course there is the ten gallon LT is currently in and the 20 gallon that is cycling. Plus the gold fish bowl holding the BB goby on the kitchen counter with a heater lol. He's surprised I haven't blown a circuit. I'd put the BB Goby in the emergency but it too is cycling.

pegasus

Your should turn off either the HOB filter, or skimmer, or both when feeding so the food doesn't get blown away. I'm sure LT will find it eventually, but it may have started decaying by that time. This will add to the nasties in the water. Just a suggestion.

Yeah, I could see how it would be a bit annoying if there were tanks scattered all over the place... lol! The good news is it shouldn't be much longer before you can consolidate some of those tanks. That should make him happy... ;)

kdsealyon

Your should turn off either the HOB filter, or skimmer, or both when feeding so the food doesn't get blown away. I'm sure LT will find it eventually, but it may have started decaying by that time. This will add to the nasties in the water. Just a suggestion.

Yeah, I could see how it would be a bit annoying if there were tanks scattered all over the place... lol! The good news is it shouldn't be much longer before you can consolidate some of those tanks. That should make him happy... ;)

What a good idea! Thank you. I'm usually in there with a baster sucking up the blown away food and that is very time consuming. That will give me some time with LT and make her a bit happier and me too. I miss interacting with my crab!

Would a bumblebee goby eat my opae shrimp? Of course ***** said the goby wouldn't, but I don't trust them. I've been feeding her chopped up frozen blood worms.

pegasus

What a good idea! Thank you. I'm usually in there with a baster sucking up the blown away food and that is very time consuming. That will give me some time with LT and make her a bit happier and me too. I miss interacting with my crab!

Would a bumblebee goby eat my opae shrimp? Of course ***** said the goby wouldn't, but I don't trust them. I've been feeding her chopped up frozen blood worms.
You're welcome.

That's a good question. It's hard to say, but I think it might be hard for a fish that only reaches 1 1/2" to swallow a 1/2" shrimp. It's possible that they may coexist, but there's no guarantee that the goby won't develop a taste for fresh shrimp meat. Can't remember how many shrimp you said you have, or even if you said, but if you have a few I'd put a single shrimp in with the goby and see what happens. If it acts aggressive towards the shrimp, you can always remove it. Providing cover for the shrimp to hide in would be a good idea if the need should arise.

kdsealyon

Opae vary in size from 1/8 to 3/8 of an inch. So she may just have to stay in that fish bowl until the other tank is finished cycling. I have only one male and four female Opaes due to phosphate which killed the others. I'm checking all water parameters now. I'm learning so much.