sun coral won't open

julie

any suggestions? I just got the sun coral from swf.com last week, and I can't fink a time or situation in which it'll open to eat. I tried lights on or off and using phytoplex

rsd

Mine took along time to acclimate. I cut the top 3rd of a 2 liter bottle off and placed it over the coral (with the cap off). Then using a turkey baster, I added thawed misis shrimp through the small opening of the bottle top. This kept the mysis shrimp amongst the coral and kept most aggressive feeders out. I did this at the same time (right before lights went out) everynight for a week and it began to open on it's own before I even got home. Good luck!

bang guy

They can't eat Phytoplex, it's probably irritating them.
Try adding several Mysid to the water an hour after lights out, then come back in an hour & see if they're open. They don't have to open very much to eat and once they start eating they should open better.

julie

someone said on this site that they use phytoplex to help give them a boost to open. What is mysis? I've been trying to get it to open with spot feeding, which does no good with the polyps not open for about 4 days. Should I be concered?

saltfun

I have only had my sun coral for 2 days now and i found that cyclopeez (sp) i had to search at 5 differnt lfs to find it but i bought the frozen kind. A little bit is all you need defrost it in a cup and use a turkey baster.

saltfun

sorry post did not make much sense. cyclopeez works really well for feeding them. Give them a little just to make them open come back later once they are open and feed them. make sure each head gets food.